SaltCritters.com

Llighting for 3gal eclipse? Help me out!

supernip

Hey guys, I got a 3gal eclipse and I wanna set it up to house some xenias, a coco worm and this kick ass christmas tree worm rock with 3 mantis shrimps I saw! anyway, I was wondering what kinda lighting I could use. I was gonna spring 160 for some of abs' leds but read that the lumen output isn't as good as I thought it was. I got a spare 13watter from hellolights but dunno how to rewire it to be an external ballast light. i was also thinking of maybe getting a 2x13 watt kit from ahsupply but I dunno yet. Help me out guys. Any info and input would be very much appreciated. thanks in advance ppl!:D

Go to home depot and get the magnatek 20 watt NO balast. CAT. NO. 200-H2

Wireing the pc bulb to the balast:

there are 2 wires on the balast. The one right beside the letter "M" in the word Magnatek on the ballast goes to either side of the bulb. the other wire on the ballast goes to the posetive side of the power cord. The negative wire from the power cord goes to the other side of the bulb. It Is VERY EASY.

You do not need a starter for this set up either.

I hope this helps you out!

thanks salty that really helps. Im not too sure how its gonna work though, It's 1) a different type of bulb ballast and 2) not even rated for 2 13watt bulbs. I actually have the bulbs though, a 03 bulb and a 50/50 bulb. Can you clarify that for me? And don't I need the sockets too? Home Depot doesn't sell them. How am I gonna water proof them? Thats another problem I'm facing as I want to keep the original hood for aesthetic reasons. Thanks in advance salty!

hmmm.... i dunno if you should put 3 mantis shrimp in a 3 gallon eclipse. Mantis shrimp can break glass, and the eclipse, as you probly know, are a lot thinner and weaker than glass. but thats just a personal opinion. i originaly was gonna set up a ten mantis tank so i ordered an acrylic ten and by the time i got my LR set up and everything, i had changed my mind. if you put in the mantis shrimp you cant put in much else. but they are enough entertainment on their own. (if they ever come out and/or kill stuff you feed them)

Supernip:

The Best and easiest lighting for a 3 Gallon Eclipse, I've found, is the Mini Might Terrarium light. No Retrofiting needed. 2x9watt bulbs, Independent switching capabilities and if you take off the stock, crappy six watt (of course) and the Biowheel it fits like a charm on the existing frame. It was as if it was made for the eclipse 3 Gallon. I lucked out and got one from one of my Big reefer friends that was using it on his refugium for $15. I think they retail at about $50, but come with bulbs. Actinic bulbs need to be ordered seperately. I am using a Zoo Med Micro filter (carbon removed) for a powerhead. Let me know if you find anything Smaller.

Let me know what you think.

James

opt,

I've had mantis shrimps before and they do well in a 3 gal depending on their size. If it isn't upset I doubt it will try to break free, you should check out reefcentral's mantis section. A lot of people are running eclipse set ups for their mantis shrimps.

Jah,

I've thought about it but then again no thanks. It's too expensive for my ass. I'm only a college student. I'm suprised I havent eaten my fishes yet...

Anyway ppl,

the reason why I asked is because I wanted to keep the original hood or it defeats the point of having an eclipse and I want the filtration system for flow. I COULD add a powerhead but what a waste of an eclipse. Thanks for you guys help though. I'd appreciate more help... If possible and you're right the lighting is a piece of ######. I'm gonna try to add a 2x13watt retrofit and see how that works out. thanks again guys and girls:D

Super:

Yeah, the Mini Might retails too much for this ass too. I lucked out on the price. It does fit in the Eclipse hood perfectly though. I did not have to mount or screw anything in. The hood is now just a cover. The 2x13 (I wanted the Deluxe so that I could have the reflectors) including shipping and bulbs turned out to be too much as well. I wanted to use the Biowheel as well, but since I will be not be keeping any fish I have heard that the Carbon just puts out too much Nitrates and phosphates. I see your point though, kind of a waste of the eclipse. I just happened to be into reptiles as well and had the mini zoo med as well.

As a side note, you may want to use the T-12 Flourescent covers that you can find at Lowes to water proof the set up. You can cut it to size.

thanks for the info, I'll try those. I might try some no lights but I highly doubt it. I'll tell you guys how everything turns out.

Archived