Cultivated Reef

The Official "How to Ship Coral" Thread

mvite

• 3 months later...
gloryforixseal

I have already introduced myself LOL but I would just like to say I am going to be more active and post more because i have had a few troubles over at MI6 like always I hate the place now. So I am sticking with this place.

I have already introduced myself LOL but I would just like to say I am going to be more active and post more because i have had a few troubles over at MI6 like always I hate the place now. So I am sticking with this place.

I find it interesting that your first post was on this thread, but at any rate, :welcome:

• 1 month later...

About acclimating shipped coral I read here that it is good just to float the bag to get the temp right and then drop the coral in the tank due to not wanting to stress the coral from using the drip method and the mucus/toxin's building up from the original water the coral was shiped in

would dipping the coral for pest's not be a good idea prior to adding to tank?

Edited by Phyto4life
  • 9 months later...
About acclimating shipped coral I read here that it is good just to float the bag to get the temp right and then drop the coral in the tank due to not wanting to stress the coral from using the drip method and the mucus/toxin's building up from the original water the coral was shiped in

would dipping the coral for pest's not be a good idea prior to adding to tank?

I used to take the coral from the shipping bag, place it in a dip and then plop it in the tank.

It's been awhile since I've done it -- there may be some better opinions out there.

I used to take the coral from the shipping bag, place it in a dip and then plop it in the tank.

It's been awhile since I've done it -- there may be some better opinions out there.

Wow, blast from the past! What up, brother?

• 1 year later...
FishEyeAquaculture
...probably cleaned out his photobucket account.

Kind of a pet peeve of mine. If you post information, please don't delete the pics that go with it.

• 7 months later...

I found that a few materials will help! I didn't know to what extent until last week! Ok! Here are the materials I used and how much it cost me. (PS: MY CORALS SuRVIVED 4 days due to the post office personnel being failures)

materials:

2 foam cups(White ones)

and an ice pack wrapped generously in in newspaper. I'm talking several layers.

1 foam container for the whole package.

1 plastic container with a twist lid.

Tape

1. I broke foam cups and used the bottoms and stuck the coral plugs right through to make a shield for any baggage handling/rubbing.

2. I used the top parts of the foam cups to fill any extra spaces so nothing moves during packaging.

3. Place ice pack wrapped in newspaper on BOTTOM between extra foam cup pieces(they should make an 0).

4. Foam container the one that people use for medical stuff it costs about 2 bucks. (doubles as your box.)

Tape box on the corners and the middle. Write Live fish on the outside!

You're good to go!

lol!

I think it was one of my off days!

BTW--Er1c is the ONLY reefer who shipped to me in the DEAD OF WINTER--and my frags were like 75 cozy degrees!!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was thinking:

USPS Express costs about $18.80 for the first pound or so.

Fedex and UPS charge based on "Dimensional Weight" which means--If you are shipping via USPS---box size doesn't matter--it's weight and distance.

For UPS and Fedex--USE THE SMALLEST BOX POSSIBLE---it will influence your price.

• 2 months later...

Hi, wow awsome techniques will be using them to ship inside my country. Which btw my country is Puerto Rico, which i bet you all knew is a territory of the UNited States, so customs is the same as over there i have been through both and i would say to get something inside the US is even harder than to PR. But they should let you ship no problem over here and the express mail still gets here in less than 2 days. I sometimes get mad cause people dont want to ship to PR beacause its not a state or they will beleive they will have problems, and i miss on some incredible frags that people put up, but oh well i guess we all have to deal we something we dont like jaja

Hi, wow awsome techniques will be using them to ship inside my country. Which btw my country is Puerto Rico, which i bet you all knew is a territory of the UNited States, so customs is the same as over there i have been through both and i would say to get something inside the US is even harder than to PR. But they should let you ship no problem over here and the express mail still gets here in less than 2 days. I sometimes get mad cause people dont want to ship to PR beacause its not a state or they will beleive they will have problems, and i miss on some incredible frags that people put up, but oh well i guess we all have to deal we something we dont like jaja

Interesting. I've always wondered how that worked.

• 1 year later...
SantaMonica

My fav way to receive frags is when they are mounted upside-down on floating foam. Keeps them off the bottom; keep them in water, and If the foam is wide enough it keeps them from touching the sides.

• 4 months later...

My fav way to receive frags is when they are mounted upside-down on floating foam. Keeps them off the bottom; keep them in water, and If the foam is wide enough it keeps them from touching the sides.

same here

• 1 year later...

Reopening an old thread..

I have never wanted to ship SPS, however, the time has come...

Anyone have any good suggestions on how to safely ship out SPS.

Thanks.