Coral Vue Hydros

How much light do I really need on a 10g???

Tim Currie

Ok, first post here...

I want to set up my 10g as a nano reef in the future. I will go with PCs, but unsure exactly what or how many watts. Can I do ok with a 32w pc light and sustain most or many corals? Or do I really need to get 2 X 32w lights? Or should I go with a single 96watt strip like this http://www.hellolights.com/201xcoaqpcho.html ??

I dont wanna spend too much money on this. And if I get a hood like the above link, do I get some type of glass cover for the top? Or does it just sit on the top of the tank by itself? I currently have no enclosed hood. Which is why I was also looking at http://www.ahsupply.com/finished_enclosures.htm

and then mounting their lights on the inside...

What do you all think?

I dont care about anything extreme like clams or any other very high light needing things cause I cant afford that much light. Any help is great.

Also I am really new at this lighting thing and have no experience with assembling them or the terms yet...

Spend the extra cash now and get as much light as you can fit on it. You will not regret it later when you are admireing a certain coral that requires high lighting. It is virtualy impossible to give corals to much light. Save the low light species .

gixxerryder

Putting two 36 w PCs on there would prolly be good , i know where you can get a ballast for 25$ , ill post the link when i get home from work 8am ish EST.

That $25 will actually run 4 36w bulbs but its able to run only two as well.. good for growing situations , about 5 different bulb configurations available on it all the way up to a 96w , pretty nice for the price if you ask me , ive had it 2 months and great results so far.

gixxerryder

Here is the link to the ballast i was telling you about ...

CHEAP A$$ BALLAST

Its model number WH5-120-Long Case

Even though it says it will only support 2 x 26w when i recieved the ballast and called the manufacturer (very cool people) for help with wireing , they informed me that there was several ways to wire it and it would support up to 4 x 36 watters

It was well worth the money to me , was also the cheapest ballast i could find that would support double 36ers

Ohh heres the link to the endcaps

WATER PROOF LINEAR PC ENDCAP

and here are the good bulbs...

SWEET BULBS (36watt)

SWEET BULBS #2

Once again good luck with your retro, i put all this into an eclipse 1 hood and it worked out great.

harbingerofthefish

I would agree. You might not plan on having to many light loving corals, bt I would at least go with 2x32s or more. You'll probally fing that 2x36s cost the same if not less than 2x32 since CSL lights seem to be a little more pricey. I just ordered a 2x55 +1x36 set-up and when you break down the figures the single 36 cost less than my CSL 32 smartlite.

Better to arrange good light first. At lest that way when you walk into the LFS and spot that cool LPS you just have to get, you won't be hitting your self about the lighting.

Remember, you can always build your own hood. Using PC's it doesn't have to be real tall or anything, so a single 1x4 board will cut down and go around a 10 gallon. Depending on how fancy you want it you can make a fully enclosed hood for about $10. Unless your like me and scrounge for parts ;) . I just finished assembeling and curved front hood for my mini-bow and have spent $3.00 on it.

That ballast looks like a sweet deal for sure. However I have no knowledge about assembling everything (or really even what a ballast is exactly....), can someone point me towards a page to learn it all in laymens terms....or walk me through it briefly?

Thanks! :)

Oh yeah....

So what I would need is this right? :

- the ballast

- those endcaps

- bulbs

and dont I also need some type of reflector?

and obviously some type of hood to mount them in....

anything else? any other wiring or hardware/tools I will need?

gixxerryder

As you start getting the parts you will start to see the little things you will need as well . you will need some type of reflector , My hood is bright white on the inside which is all i had space for . I plan to cover the white with some reflective mylar when i can find some , its like a mirrored cloth type of stuff .

You will need some basic wireing and as far as how to wire everything together you can call the manufacturer of the ballast (there number is printed on it) and they will walk you step by step through wireing it and even tell you how it works and give you other general advice , They have about the best customer service i have seen in a long time considering i didnt even directly buy the ballast from them.

Other than whats listed you will need a power cord ( cheapest if you can scrap one off of somthing that is old and no longer working )

And something to mount it all into . Reflector recomended but really optional at this point.

I too am starting a 10g tank. I liked the CSL CompactPrism (3x32w) idea but wanted a retro kit. I finally went with a CSL 2X32w retro kit and a CSL Smartlite 32w retro. One bulb change will yield 64 of 10K and 32w of actinic. A bit pricey but I like the CSL stuff.

This setup will give me some flexibility with dawn/dusk simulation. Maybe I should have went with the CompactPrism and taken it apart to go with a custom hood. :-)

Hey i just started a 10g nano too about a month ago. i work at a LFS and i special ordered the coralife hood, well, after two weeks i finally got it and got it home to realize that it is the 28w. I need to know if the 28 is going to be enough, because i plan on packing my tank full of corals and what-not. i had a power-glo on it for the first month and that is not really too much dimmer than the coralife (14w). i was wondering if i should maybe get both of those lights crammed over the top of my tank, or am i going to be fine?

Archived