Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Dead snail or instant hermit crab condo?

monkeytrumpets

monkeytrumpets

I originally had 2 turbo snails in my BC8 (a combination of me not doing my homework first, and the guy at the LFS telling me I would need at LEAST 2 turbos in a tank that size...) Anyway, long story short, both snails died. The question I have now is, how would one "evict" the current, deceased, resident in order to provide my hermits with a new condo? Is it even worth the effort? Thanks in advance.

Other possibility would be to fish them out of your tank and then boil them in salt water on your kitchen stove. Based upon experience with escargot I would think you could do following:

1) Send roomate/spouse/significant other to movie.

2) fish snails from tank

3) place in boiling pot of water, then reduce water to simmer

4) Should drop out of shells after about 20- 30 min on simmer, might need a little prompting with a toothpick.

5) Return shells to tank and hide evidence.

monkeytrumpets
Other possibility would be to fish them out of your tank and then boil them in salt water on your kitchen stove. Based upon experience with escargot I would think you could do following:

1) Send roomate/spouse/significant other to movie.

2) fish snails from tank

3) place in boiling pot of water, then reduce water to simmer

4) Should drop out of shells after about 20- 30 min on simmer, might need a little prompting with a toothpick.

5) Return shells to tank and hide evidence.

:P My girlfriend suggested that, but I live in the dorms and the only source of near boiling water is my coffee pot. We weighed out the options and decided that coffee with a hint of escargot might not be so tasty.

Just skewer it with a toothpick, a fork, or something similar and pull it out. It's not hard.

I ended up pulling it out with a pair of neeldenose pliars. I don't think I was able to get him all though...Now the shell smells...well it smells like dead snail. I think I'll hide it in a cup of saltwater in a quiet corner for a few weeks before introducing it into the tank. :)

Archived