Innovative Marine Aquariums

? Best Live Rock for max growth and online place to purchase?

Vertigo

I need to find out a little more information before I go and order the wrong thing from an online store. What is the best kind of Live Rock for a 12 Gallon Nano Cube and where Can I get it cheap? I was looking at this:

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Di...cfm?pCatId=1949

I didnt know if that is any good? I wanted to ask you'll because I have received so many great reviews. If that one isnt a good deal and good type of rock can someone link me in a PM or on this message a great link for Live rock? I am also looking for some Live Sand and my local pet shop doesnt carry anything. They wanted me to put gravel in the Salt Tank! lol Thanks ahead of time.

I need to find out a little more information before I go and order the wrong thing from an online store. What is the best kind of Live Rock for a 12 Gallon Nano Cube and where Can I get it cheap? I was looking at this:

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Di...cfm?pCatId=1949

I didnt know if that is any good? I wanted to ask you'll because I have received so many great reviews. If that one isnt a good deal and good type of rock can someone link me in a PM or on this message a great link for Live rock? I am also looking for some Live Sand and my local pet shop doesnt carry anything. They wanted me to put gravel in the Salt Tank! lol Thanks ahead of time.

Look up TampaBaySaltWater! Needs to be picked up at the airport however.

I got nice Live Rock from Premium Aquatics. I got 30 pounds of Marshall Island, shipping was like a dollar a pound shipped UPS Ground (They are close so it was next day, if you are within 150 miles you'll get it next day with ground shipping).

Here's a pic of mine when it was new

Picture66016.jpg

Great shapes and colors, orange and purple coraline showed up quickly. Be ready to hammer and chisel the rock to how you want it.

If you want to save $$$ get uncured, just be ready for a bigger and longer cycle.

They also have nano rock which is smaller pieces of all sorts of rock (figi, marshall island, etc..)

Also I would skip the "Live sand" and just get the prebagged sand from Premium Aquatics to save some $$$$. Your sandbed will become live from critters on your rock.

Why not buy dead rock for cheap at a LFS and a few small tid bits of live rock. Eventually the dead rock will be colonized, and if you get rock from the bottom of the liverock tanks usually they have lots of crazy critters on them which can be very beneficial.

That’s the cheapest way to do it without going DIY, and it has a minimal impact on the natural reef ecosystem if the rocks were wild collected.

i would go with a mixture of some nice Fiji , Marshall , or Tonga live rock .. that way you can get a variety of many creatures :) ... the fiji that i got was pretty lifeless for a while and after about 4 months i really started to see some growth .. now i have feather dusters stomatella snails and some asternia stars

i would go with a mixture of some nice Fiji , Marshall , or Tonga live rock .. that way you can get a variety of many creatures :) ... the fiji that i got was pretty lifeless for a while and after about 4 months i really started to see some growth .. now i have feather dusters stomatella snails and some asternia stars

Anymore good sites that I could check out? I will also take pics when I start putting this tank up and keep everyone updated.

i got LR from fosters and smith, Fiji, its the most coralline covered rock i have.

from 3 different lfs stores, fiji, solomon and tonga, none of them still dont have half as much coralline as the dr fosters fiji

my fiji gets crazy coraline colors on it and its great looking, i have about 3 or 4 shades of purple,v2 shades of red, green, and in some spots orange, and its also covered in sponges, mine you the rock is over 7 years old but still its great

I bought the same live rock from Live Aquaria, it is nice rock, there are two things I dont like about it.

1. There was quite a bit of dieoff from the shipping I beleive, when I opened the container a rank smell came out, much more than if you bought it local and brought it right home, therefore my cycling time had definatly increased for buying cured rock.

2. The pieces are really small, though I have a 12g nano myself, I found that it was difficult to place the rocks in a structure that felt secure, since all the pieces are so small.

I do find that I like the apprarance of it, and I set it up pretty much like they did in the picture because you really cant go high with this rock, its too small and doesnt feel secure.

Also, not sure if its a bad thing, I didnt really get any hitchikers at all, except for some pods, no aiptasia, no mantis, nothing really, it was essentially colorful dead rock. Best of luck!

well you do know that LR from the LFS is cured and shouldnt have any smell, or even barely any smell because its half way cured, the reason it smelled was because there wasnt any water to keep anything alive and it died, and started to decompose casuing the rank smell

Helfrichs Chick

spot on.

happy0001.gif

I bought the same live rock from Live Aquaria, it is nice rock, there are two things I dont like about it.

1. There was quite a bit of dieoff from the shipping I beleive, when I opened the container a rank smell came out, much more than if you bought it local and brought it right home, therefore my cycling time had definatly increased for buying cured rock.

2. The pieces are really small, though I have a 12g nano myself, I found that it was difficult to place the rocks in a structure that felt secure, since all the pieces are so small.

I do find that I like the apprarance of it, and I set it up pretty much like they did in the picture because you really cant go high with this rock, its too small and doesnt feel secure.

Also, not sure if its a bad thing, I didnt really get any hitchikers at all, except for some pods, no aiptasia, no mantis, nothing really, it was essentially colorful dead rock. Best of luck!

Well, Dont look Like I will go with them. I want like 3-4 softball size pieces not little pieces. Ty so much because I wouldve just sent that back after I found out it was dead.

Archived