Innovative Marine Aquariums

Electric Blue Hermit Crab Owners!

alpha

My tank has cycled and I'm going to add a clean-up crew this weekend. I want an Electric Blue Hermit, but I know they munch on coralline algae. My coralline is at low levels, but seems to be growing. Should I wait until it's more established until I add one of these guys? I've heard that their eating coralline can help seed coralline in other parts of the tank, but I'm worried that adding one now would just wipe all of it out.

My experience has not shown them to be coralline eaters. They scrape the edges now and then but I've never seen one actually try and eat it.

My experience has not shown them to be coralline eaters. They scrape the edges now and then but I've never seen one actually try and eat it.

You realize I'm talking about this crab....

http://liveaquaria.com/product/prod_displa...id=1479&N=0

Not this crab, right? .....

http://liveaquaria.com/product/prod_displa...tid=623&N=0

No offense, I just want to make sure. In running a search on these here, I've seen several people report that they eat coralline....

One of mine:

198496390.jpg

Oh, cool :D . What size is your tank? The guy at the lfs is trying to steer me away from one, saying that it will tear my tank apart and will get too big. The ones he has now are between the size of a quarter and a half dollar.

Any negative experiences with them?

Best algae eaters I've ever seen, next to the orange knuckled hermit (same markings, just orange and purple).

Mine are in a 30 cube... they do get fairly large, compared to scarlets and blue legged but I've got two electrics and two orange and they do most of the work in the tank. They're kind of heavy so you have to make sure corals are secure but I wouldn't say they're particularly destructive (they're very nimble, note that mines on a powerhead at the top of the tank, he didn't miracle himself up there).

Best algae eaters I've ever seen, next to the orange knuckled hermit (same markings, just orange and purple).

Mine are in a 30 cube... they do get fairly large, compared to scarlets and blue legged but I've got two electrics and two orange and they do most of the work in the tank. They're kind of heavy so you have to make sure corals are secure but I wouldn't say they're particularly destructive (they're very nimble, note that mines on a powerhead at the top of the tank, he didn't miracle himself up there).

Great. I'm gonna get one then. Have you noticed any flow leakage out the bacck of your hydorflo?

I never noticed but I've replaced it with a Tunze nano stream so can't really check. I use the old powerhead for mixing saltwater now so I'll check this weekend when I make a fresh batch ;).

I never noticed but I've replaced it with a Tunze nano stream so can't really check. I use the old powerhead for mixing saltwater now so I'll check this weekend when I make a fresh batch ;).

It'd be cool if you could let me know because when I throw some 'Purple-Up' in the third chamber, I see some leakage out the back of the hydorflo -- like if you threw some in while you were taking that photo, your crab would have a cloud of it spit on him.

Thanks for your input and advice!

PS- I'll pull this thread back up if he starts eating my coralline! LOL

Archived