Cultivated Reef

Bayco Bulb Quality

HogWinslow

I just set up a 5 gallon nano with a Bayco light. I used the 6500K bulb that came with it and to put it nicely it sucks. The quality of the light is horrible. Everything looks yellow. I took a 15 watt NO fixture with a wornout bulb and it looks great. Would a better bulb in the 13 watt PC be better. I wanting to keep Coraline Algae. Could I use two 15 watt NO bulbs? One daylight and the other actenic for the Coraline Algae or does it require more light?

Thanks,

Hogwinslow

Got to hellolights.com and order 2 of their 13w 50/50pc bulbs. go back to the store and get another bayco single light fixture. Use both your new bulbs in them. You will be more then happy and so will your coral's :) I am running three of them on my 5.5 nano.

First let me thank you for responding. I went on HelloLights website and they are out of the bulbs you suggested. I also looked at their ballasts and sockets. (I don't really like the rigged up assembly I have.) They are about twice the price of AHSupply but, look a lot better. I was wondering what you used as ballasts and sockets. I think I may buy the ones from HelloLights just because they seem to be better quality. What do you think? Please be patient with me. I'm still learning.

Thanks,

HogWinslow

I would highly recommend the AHS set up. I have been running 3x13 Bright kit (no reflectors) on my 5.5 for a year with no problems. The ballasts are mounted on the back of the hood.

The Hellolights set up has the ballast mounted with the reflector and bulb. Many people who have used them have heat issues.

Archived