SaltCritters.com

how to tell if GSP is dead?

chufa

My GSP has been closed since my heater malfunction disaster, which wiped out one of my other corals (frogspawn). Could it be dead? Other times when it has closed there were at least some tips sticking out a little bit, but now is nothing, no signs of life.

They are hardy. Mine didn't ship very well, and there weren't any tips sticking out, just purple mat. I let it sit and eventually it opened up. Just wait a while.

when the mat starts getting a little 'texturey', they're on their way out. as long as the mat is intact and not roughed up )in appearance and act) they always have a good chance. give them a decent flow (2"/sec.), good water quality and lighting and they should recover.

i've had gsps closed for up to three weeks and then sprout again. (water quality issue)

Well, it seems they are dead, or mostly dead anyway. The mat is darkened, and is peeling off in some places. Hermits, which left it alone when it was alive, are tearing pieces off it. Maybe they smell something dead that attracts them.

I lost 95% of my GSP after a shipping snafu (it wasn't packaged properly and parts of it were crushed.. a fungus then ravaged the rock and lost almost all of it)... after about 4 months, it's almost completely made a recovery, and I already have 2 small frags that have popped up (pieces of mat on chunks of rock that broke off of the main rock)

Archived