SaltCritters.com

Help setting up my new 12g eclipse...

jorgeinmiami

jorgeinmiami

Ok, I have been reading on here a while I have an Eclipse 12g with the 1 pl lamp hood. Have a few questions....Basically need help on selecting equipment , I want good stuff not cheap. Planning on setting up FOWLR,with 1 clown and some live rock and a few crabs at first. but want the option to later upgrade to reef with same equipment.Planning on getting items from MARINEDEPOT.COM

1. I live in Miami fl. as far as live sand is concerned what is the difference with the sand from the ocean than the sand from the LFS also how much live rock

2. reccomend heater. 1 for tank and for water change bucket

3. Is theEclipse filter ok with weekly water changes or do i need a protein skimmer.

4. What salifert test kits should i buy.

5. I need 2 power heads 1 for tank and another for the water change bucket.

6.Lights I work for a lamp and ballast wholesaler, I have the reflector and the ballast i plan to do myself. Just need the bulbs I want power compacts... what kelvin do i use...

7. what salinity tester is good.

8. anything else i might need

I'll do my best to help you, but there are other nano reefers here with much more experience. If they disagree than listen to them.

The sand from the ocean is polluted. Plain and simple, unless you live on some pristine beach in the south pacific. Samegoes for water unless you can get your water from 100' down, 200 yards off shore. I really don't think you need a heater for your water change bucket. I live in Seattle and don't use one, so I don't know why you'de need one in Miami. From the research I've done EBO JAGER is the best heater. I personally use VISATHERM, but I've read a few negative things on this sight. Right now you're saying 1 clown nd live rock, this could very well change. If you are though I recommend a PAIR of perculas. You get the fish you want, your fish are happy. Power heads (ph) I'd say put 2 mini jets in your tank if you're buying 2. The change bucket doesn't need one. I have 2, 5 gallon water cooler jugs (upside down) with RO DI water in them. All I did was hook up a cheap $5 pump with a splitter and an air stone in each, and that water is FINE. I think any decent LFS will carry a good Salinity tester, there's not much to them. As far as test kits, the basics are Amonia,nitrite,nitrate,ph,alk there are MANY more. Hope I've helped, someone else will add in I'm sure. As far as lighting goes, I'd say post the question in Lighting Forum.

Hola Jorge, just some answers to your questions:

1: Like zizmans said, you have some pollutants in your sand that can become a problem once enclosed in a small volume and have nowhere to go. Also, the sand in beaches like in Miami is high in silicates, which can promote undesirable diatom (brown algae) growth. Live sand from the LFS is mostly calcium-rich aragonite.

2: I can't recommend a heater, since mine recently malfunctioned. But I don't heat the new water, and don't even use a bucket for a tank that small. I use a 1 gallon jug, and do 1 gallon changes a week. You could use 2 gallons if you want, more is overkill.

3: The Eclipse filter is OK with me without skimmer, but to have better water flow add a small powerhead (such as a Rio 90) on the opposite side of the filter outflow.

4: Kits basically like zizmans said: ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH and alkalinity.

5: To arereate the new water it would be simpler cheaper to use a simple small pump with an airstone. I aereate overnight.

6: For lights I use the CSL Supernova Smartlite 32W retrofit. In your case I could not offer much advice, other that to make sure you have a water-resistant setup since an improper lighting setup can set your tank on fire (and your house too, maybe).

7: I use a hydrometer. It measures specific gravity, not salinity. Most LFS carry those. Mine is a gauge-style hydrometer, the trick is to tap it to make sure there are no bubbles that overfloat the needle. Also, the temperature difference between the tank and new water affects the reading, but not by much and I would just ignore it (especially living in Miami)

8: I would recommend to buy your live rock locally to avoid massive dieoff from shipping. No matter how good you ship, it is not the same to get some fresh rock the same day from nearby. Also, most live rock shippers require at least 50 pounds which would be too much for a 12 G Eclipse. You'll be fine with 15-25 pounds, depending on density.

For example, if you add some fresh cured Florida aquacultured rock, your tank will cycle almost immediately. I would still wait a couple of weeks before putting any other livestock to let the tank stabilize.

Archived