Innovative Marine Aquariums

cyano bacteria outbreak

amethyst212

im starting to have an outbreah again of cyano bacteria i see small patches of it on my sand bed.

can anyone tell me what inverts i can use. and would a fuge help?

10 gallon tank

coralife 2x65 watt pc with actinics and moonlight

20-25 lbs of live rock

and 1.5 in live sand

3 mexican turbos

5 turbos

2 nassirius snails

algea blenny

salinity 1.026

amm. 0

no2-0

no3-.5 almost unoticable

please help me out

In my experience, inverts don't help with Cyano. You need to find what's fueling it, most likely phosphates or nitrates and fix that problem. I refugium might help if you use macroalgae such as chaeto to absorb nutrients in the water.

A fuge will help with the anarobic bacteria and nutrient obsorbant live stock. Try chemi-pure, toss it in your sump or canister and you will notice a big difference. You should have a phosphate reactor as well. Cyano bacteria pormotes undesired algae growth and will prevent corallina from srpeading.

Good luck!

I second the Chemi pure. It works. I get cyano every year or so and after trying the reduced light cycle, new light, add a refugium, clean the tank better, do more water changes, get more snails - blah blah blah!

Save yourself all the heartache and get the chemi pure.

Don't be sucked into the all natural route. Use the chemical and all you problems will be solved.

Dale

I don't know about Chemi-Pure, but Chemi-Clean Red Slime Remover works. But, there's nothing wrong with trying to naturally balance your tank to prevent getting Cyano outbreaks to begin with.

I don't know about Chemi-Pure, but Chemi-Clean Red Slime Remover works. But, there's nothing wrong with trying to naturally balance your tank to prevent getting Cyano outbreaks to begin with.

good idea. red slime remover is a medication they relabel as a remover... it kills bacteria including your biological filteration. just do water changes with ro water, up the flow, change the bulbs if they're old, and feed less or better foods (which the label. many foods have a TON of phosphates. go with a low level one).

gl

red slime remover is a medication they relabel as a remover... it kills bacteria including your biological filteration.

gl

In my earlier post, I meant chemi clean. As for the killing the good bacteria, that is not true. I have used it on established tanks with softies, LPS, SPS, and Clams and I have never had so much as a hiccup. I recognize the desire to go the all natural route, but that is no reason to use rumors and fibs to prevent others from using a good product.

There is nothing natural about a box of glass filled with fake saltwater. Quit pretending. Use the d*mn chemicals.

Koral krazy (reefer 365)

Definitely try some Red Slime Remover to knock it out of your tank. After getting it under control, try some PhosBan. It'll keep phosphates down and regulate overall algae growth. However, it can be a pain to fit anywhere without a back compartment in your tank or a phosreactor.

Archived