ReefCleaners.org

red bugs on acro

skey44

thanks... i only see red no yellow but they don't sound good... guess i should try the dip they recommend on that site seeing as they haven't harmed my coral yet

ive heard of many people trying to get a hold of a anticeptor(for dogs), i dont know what it does. maybe its a cure?

It is, but it will also kill all invertebrates in the tank, so only use it as a last resort. I would try the dip, especially if you only have a few acros (but make sure to dip them all).

Helfrichs Chick

Found some info for you... but the first link is saying to treat in the tank. Personally I would not. As much as it SUX I would set up a QT and do the dip in there and just leave the acros in for a couple weeks if possible. The problem I see here is the lifespan. I only found 1 site with lifespan info and they said 5 days, who knows how acurate that is. SO my advice would be to set up a qt tank put all your acros in it, add iterceptor, keep the corals in the qt for at least 7 days. Put back in main tank. Watch for the bugs and hope that they starved out. HTH

"CURE":

http://www.reefs.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=439155

More Info: http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/june2003/feature.htm

It is, but it will also kill all invertebrates in the tank, so only use it as a last resort. I would try the dip, especially if you only have a few acros (but make sure to dip them all).

interceptor do not harm all inverts. they will kill all crustaceans (hermits shrimps)

Helfrich's Chick, as far as treating it goes, it is better to treat IN tank rather than setting up a qt to be thorough. (regarding the use of interceptor). the interceptor treatment is really no big deal. its intimidating at first, but in the end, i did not kill anything. i was treating for black bugs not red btw, they were harrassing some montis, i have not seen them since the treatment.

after adding interceptor in your tank for 12 hours, i turned on the skimmer and let it run for 1 hour to get any bugs that might've made it in the skimmer. then i did a 30% water change the following day and added some extra carbon and my tank is fine. my pistol shrimp survived the treatment as well. clams were fine, snails were fine, fish fine, blastos acans fine, acros fine, montis bug free.

neanderthalman

It would be best to simply remove any crustaceans to a QT tank and treat the display, in that case. In some tanks, you might not be able to keep track of and catch every single hermit crab, but I'll bet you could get nearly all. That would minimize the potential losses, and the interceptor doesn't have to kill the crabs for it to injure or harm them. Might as well separate them.

You could probably keep them in a small bucket for a couple of days - no need for a full-on QT tank. If you're dealing with acros, you should already have a spare powerhead and heater for prepping your water change water.

• 2 weeks later...

if you are serious about getting rid of red bugs, your best option is interceptor, but like previously stated, an interceptor treatment WILL kill crustaceans

er1c_the_reefer

i just inherited red bugs from a local reefer. it seems like there's a lot of it going around lately. so far, my corals look fine, but i'm going to do interceptor this weekend anyways. i've heard they only do harm (irritate) sps with larger corallites. can anyone confirm this?

also, keep this in mind: using interceptor is going to be like using flatworm exit: if you don't get them all, the ones left are going to be a pita to get rid of. therefore, try to do multiple treatments over the span of a few weeks. also, red bugs have been known to come back several months after treatment with interceptor. to be honest, i'm starting to think red bugs are like herpes for sps.

Archived