Top Shelf Aquatics

tan colored dusty sorta stuff...

BigReefer

hey sorry for such a noob question but what is the light brown / tannish dusty kind of looking stuff that comes on the cured live rock??? not like pink that turned brown but it looks like light brown dust!?!? hrmph... does anyone know what im talking about? :P Also I have been looking REALLY close and i noticed some very very very tiny clear things that look like fresh water ghost shrimp babies?!? Is this a good sign or bad??? Thats everyone! :D

You didn't mention how long your tank has been up, but the brown stuff sounds like diatoms: a normal part of the cycling process. You have only begun to see what's really happening in the tank. You'll love it. Get a good chair and a bowl of popcorn, it's better than a movie.

LOL Nice!!! I cant wait!! Its only been up for 2 days now... Im pretty excited.. Im peering threw the glass with a fine comb looking for signs of life :P Now that the lights are off i used a flashlight and its completely differant... Found a cluster of green sacks, which i think are actually algae of some sort... White things that looks like zoos but i dont think actually are, or maybe they are?!?! Hmmmm a few white fleshy tubes... Loving it! :) Cant wait untill things really take off! :D

yeah i have had my tank setup for 4 days and I can't keep my eyes off the tank. When I added a extra 13watts of light, things really look different on my rock, I see a green neonish color in some places... a pink and yellow encrusted coral of some kind...no signs of life yet. I too have noticed very small tube like stuctures waving in the current....so cool.

Yes they are tiny cluster of emerald green spheres... I think they are algae of some kind???? Are they good or bad???

Take a look at the "bubble algae" thread in the advanced forum. I had some a couple of months ago and my emerald crab took care of them. I see some is coming back now.

Archived