Innovative Marine Aquariums

yet another xenia question

thePenguin

since i got my pulsing xenia two weeks ago, its tentacles have gotten about 50% longer (not sure if thats good or bad) and it has all but stopped pulsing. i suspected ph might be the problem from stuff i had read on here, so i tested mine for the first time ever and it was at 8.0. while i was out today i picked up some red sea ph buffer that i am adding bit by bit to hopefully get the ph up. tommorrow i plan on starting to dose "kalkwasser" as well. i am scared though that my xenia may not recover. i have read that xenia sometimes stops pulsing and never starts up again. so my question is, if the xenia stops pulsing but i fix the ph (assuming that is the problem) will it ever recover or is it permanently "de-pulsed"? (btw nitrates are 0, light and water flow are good, and other than that the xenia looks healthy. i have some anthelia which ive heard is very similar to xenia and it is healthy and growing like crazy)

how far up in the tank is it ? Lots of times it elongates when its trying to reach for more light. If it is situated low, try raising it up and see what happens. Mine is in a 10 gal tank about 3/4 of the way up and under 2X36 PC. What's your salinty at also???

im not really too worried about the elongation, in fact it might just be my imagination since it was pretty scrunched up the first few days. for what its worth i keep my sg at .023

i dont know if anyone is paying attention to this thread, but i started dosing kent tech-cb 2 part calcium buffer today. anyone know how long it will take to get the ph up with this stuff?

maybe it's me or not, but my xenia opens up mid-day and doesn't pulse much, then later on in the day when they've had their meal they start pulsing again. They are higher up in my tank, but not too high. They still pulse throughout the day but not as strongly as in the morning and night.

just an update in case anyone cares...since i started dosing the calcium buffer it started pulsing more, but then i upgraded my lighting to a 96 watt power quad and now it pulses fine all day long. so i guess maybe that was the problem after all.

yeah they eat fish! Are you crazy you didn't know that?!:P

duder, i meant their food from light and shat, you know their zooanthia crap. hWAtever.

anyways, test your water for iodine and if it is low, get some lugol's solution by kent marine. Put one drop in a cup and mix it with your tank water, then get a turkey baster or something close to it and just spray it over your xenia. Just did it yesterday and today they opened up so much and is splitting and already grew 4 new polyps if that's even possible. It's crazy. They love iodine but -check your water for it so that you DO NOT overdoseseses.:D

Archived