SaltCritters.com

Cleaner Shrimps clean more than the rock?

anthony812

anthony812

Hey guys/gals,

what does your cleaner shrimps do?  I got 3 in my 40..and they CLEAN MY FISH!  YEs, my fish..they grab on to the fish..ride on their back and pick stuffs off their body!  HAHAHA...so far today..they have cleaned my Clarkii and 2 True Perc clowns, and a couple of my Green Chromis...anyone else have the same experience..i took a picture..i will post it as soon as i get in my office.

clean2.jpg

(Edited by anthony812 at 12:34 pm on July 1, 2002)

Quote: from anthony812 on 11:58 pm on June 30, 2002[br]Hey guys/gals,

what does your cleaner shrimps do?

Mine dances the Macarena.

Quote: from anthony812 on whocares  when Posted sh*t.[br]

Yes, they are called cleaner shrimp because they clean other fish.  They will even go inside the mouth of a much larger fish.  In my office tank we have 3 cleaners and they take care of all the inhabitants as well as doing the windows twice a week.

IMO one of the coolest sites while scuba diving is seeing a big 2 or 3 foot grouper "sitting" at a cleaning station with 4 or 5 cleaner shrimp running all over him, including in and out of the grouper's mouth. You can also put your hand next to a cleaning station and the shrimp will run out and clean your hand off.

I'm going to see if I can get rid of the soap dispenser in the bathroom at work and replace it with a tub of cleaner shrimp to dip your hands in...  

...or not

Thats simply amazing.  Such mutualistic behavior in our own tanks.  :)  

I hope my shrimp one day learns to do it.

I have one cleaner shrimp and two percs, but the percs are too young and small-bigger one is only 1.25inches.

Does it take a long while for the shirmp and fish to do this?  And do the fish need to be a certain size?

I find this so facsinating.

if your fish are tank raised they might not head to the shrimp.  also, if they are parasite free, they might not head to the shrimp.  lastly, the shrimp might have put up a small sign that says won't do scales or fins and, therefore, teh fish ain't going fer a cleanin'

Archived