Top Shelf Aquatics

Coral Combat

The Unit

I was under the impression that a corls such as leathers/colt/kenya tree would kill any LPS such as torch/hammer/frogspawn...but i look at jimmitoman's very nice tank and see them all in one tank?........do i have bad info?

Leather corals produce terpenoids, toxins that are most potent for stony corals. Given the mucus delivery mechanism for the toxin, it is most potent within the area immediately surround the leather (about 6" in all directions), quickly dropping beyond that. However, in an aquarium setting, it's possible for stray toxins to build up in the water outside that region over time.

The pollution is made much worse when a leather sheds its outer skin, which can break down and pollute massively.

While some stony corals are more vulnerable than others, I think it's generally a wise idea to keep leathers in softy-only tanks.

Kramer is right, over time these toxins will usually kill (or at the very least affect the behavior or) many LPSs. Euphyllia are among the most sensitive.

You commonly see posts about a Euphyllia that "was doing great, and suddenly stopped opening and died". When asked they usually have leathers in the tank which were the probable culprits.

ok so this is MORE pionted to leathers than say a kenya tree or is a capnella considered a leather also?....also i have never seen my kenya tree shed or anything like that....and i hate to see it go it is so nice and like t o see it grow...

i have also heard that but have never experianced it. I have 2 lrg. green torch and a lrg, neon green frogspawn in one of my tanks and near all are leather corals, a huge toadstool, a couple lrg sinularia, and a devils hand all within pretty close proximity maybe im jsut lucky but i frag the leathers offten for trade and the LPS are growing and splitting into new heads, i say go for it but first signs soething is wrong take out the leather...

If ya need to see pics jsut ask i got some good ones....

ok im gona place it on different sides of the tank to see what happensbut will take one out of i see sign of something wrong.....thanks again for the reply

Almost all softies use some amount of toxin as a defense mechanism, but Sarcophyton genus corals (aka leather or toadstool corals) are the worst, and the most prone to shedding.

However, a lot of things sold as "leathers" aren't actually Sarcophytons, such as Sinularia (cabbage leather), and aren't near as potent.

ok zizmans....after the new lights come in and and some funding ill will add the torch.....and will post with pics...

Archived