SaltCritters.com

cleaner shrimp fry rearing

scribz718

anyone know what to feed them. my little pair had about 30 fry hoppinh around the water column last night when i went to spot feed. i siphoned them out, added a bubbler and DT phyto to feed.

We used to breed these at my school a few years ago, tough little buggers. The biggest problem is their larval stage which lasts for ~14 weeks, maybe 12 in warmer temps. We tried raising them multiple ways to see what worked best, if I remember correctly I think the ones kept in greenwater and fed phyto and gut-loaded brine shrimp nauplii did the best, but mortality was always pretty high.

Like I said the biggest problem is just keeping them alive for the 3 1/2 months it takes before they metamorphose into the benthic stage. If you really wanted to try raising them I'd get a pair or two of peppermints and try raising them for a bit of practice as they're fairly easy by comparison (short larval stage 4-6 weeks). Good luck if you decide to try it, and if not the larvae at least make good food for everything else in the tank.

Jim

We used to breed these at my school a few years ago, tough little buggers. The biggest problem is their larval stage which lasts for ~14 weeks, maybe 12 in warmer temps. We tried raising them multiple ways to see what worked best, if I remember correctly I think the ones kept in greenwater and fed phyto and gut-loaded brine shrimp nauplii did the best, but mortality was always pretty high.

Like I said the biggest problem is just keeping them alive for the 3 1/2 months it takes before they metamorphose into the benthic stage. If you really wanted to try raising them I'd get a pair or two of peppermints and try raising them for a bit of practice as they're fairly easy by comparison (short larval stage 4-6 weeks). Good luck if you decide to try it, and if not the larvae at least make good food for everything else in the tank.

Jim

larvae died very next day :( aparently the bubbler was too strong and others got fried by the heater so i give.

Archived