Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

3gal JBJ Picotope Filter Suggests/Ideas

Reverse Logic

Reverse Logic

I'm curious if anyone has any information on the stock Picotope filter. I'm not asking for opinions like "get rid of it, it's junk" or tips on how to build my own filter Macgyver style with some plexi-glas and a paper clip. I'm merely a mortal anyway . . . Just hoping to get people who actually OWN this filter and have had success doing any one thing or the other.

I had found someone out there once who had a 3gal JBJ set up with all the stock bits and was doing great I just can't remember where that was and who it was. Impressive memory eh?

I'd be happy to post pics of my progress so far but . . . I swear I can't figure out how to post pictures. Do I have to post them on another site or some such? Help with that would be nice too haha. Lets face it . . . we really only like to spend time reading the threads with the pics we can love or hate.

Thanks in advance.

Reverse Logic
Try this thread

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...104996&st=0

Looks like maybe add a little flow and stock simply and you're good to go.

Good luck - post your progress.

That's exactly the thread I had found before I set mine up. Not sure why I couldn't find again but I appreciate the heads up. I already added flow so now I have to dose myself with some patience . . . they don't sell that on e-bay.

I had found someone out there once who had a 3gal JBJ set up with all the stock bits and was doing great I just can't remember where that was and who it was. Impressive memory eh?

Yup, that's my JBJ Picotope thread that slc84103 posted. I am running the stock filter and it's just fine. I cut the top of the mesh bag that comes with it which has the carbon in it. That way I can still use it and just replace the carbon. I cut some extra whisper filter floss to the size of the pico filter and put it in front and behind the carbon bag. Worked great and trapped all sorts of gunk but I'm experimenting with my soft corals which like more nutrient rich water. So lately, I've been running nothing in it at all trying to "dirty" up the water with my Acans daily feedings. I was gonna put some more carbon in this week though so things don't really get out of control. No filter floss though. The corals have been doing better not having every single particle in the water getting trapped in the filter floss. The left side of the tank has a Rio 50 powerhead for more flow on that side of the tank and the pico filter creates a gentle flow for the right side. The lowest flow is in the middle near the back. You won't need a different or bigger filter unless you want to build a refugium. If I get a little time later I'll explain the pic posting process if no one else has chimed in for that.

Reverse Logic
Yup, that's my JBJ Picotope thread that slc84103 posted. I am running the stock filter and it's just fine. I cut the top of the mesh bag that comes with it which has the carbon in it. That way I can still use it and just replace the carbon. I cut some extra whisper filter floss to the size of the pico filter and put it in front and behind the carbon bag.

Yeah I was thinking that little piece of foam after the carbon was probably useless, but since it's white it makes you feel like it's doing something by getting all dirty.

I thought I had all of those ideas the other day, but then I remember they were your ideas I read a while ago. I'm still going to pretend they were mine if my wife asks . . . ok I'm not that petty.

I also wondered if it would be useful to put something underneath the filter and the light to elevate where they sit. If I raised them up more then I could add more water. Not much 1/2 inch maybe? But i figure since we aren't really dealing with 3 actual gallons, any little bit of extra water should help.

I'm new to this game so . . . yeah I guess its obvious. read below . . haha

As far as posting pics . . . I dont know where I'm screwwing up. I click browse, i find the pics, I click attach . . and it doesnt work. I tried two different computers . . . at work I fix every computer, at home I can't even post a simple pic. I'm so ashamed.

avalanche1201

use the image code [-IMG]http://linkgoeshere[-/IMG]

just leave out the -

Ive also got the jbj pico, going to start stocking it soon. Yellow Clown gobie, a sexy shrimp (maybe 2), a pistol shrimp (only if i get 1 sexy), 3 cerith snails.

and for corals I want a candy cane, ricordia blue mushroom, and some other things, dont know what yet...so input would be appreciated

Pistol shrimp need a pretty deep sand bed, not sure if a 3 gallon has room. Sexy shrimp would be fine, they do better in groups of three or four. Personally I would not put a fish in a 3 gallon, but thats just me.

Reverse Logic
use the image code [-IMG]http://linkgoeshere[-/IMG]

just leave out the -

Ive also got the jbj pico, going to start stocking it soon. Yellow Clown gobie, a sexy shrimp (maybe 2), a pistol shrimp (only if i get 1 sexy), 3 cerith snails.

and for corals I want a candy cane, ricordia blue mushroom, and some other things, dont know what yet...so input would be appreciated

I guess it's the link goes here part that throws me. I have to have my pictures on another site . . . then create a link to it. Why doesn't this make sense to me? Are there sites that just let you post your pics for free? How come I have never heard of such a thing? And . . . and while we are at it . . . where do babies come from!?

avalanche1201

Reverse, www.photobucket.com is a good free hosting site. Upload it onto there and it will tell you the link to your image. Then you just insert that link into the image code.

HTH

Reverse Logic
Reverse, www.photobucket.com is a good free hosting site. Upload it onto there and it will tell you the link to your image. Then you just insert that link into the image code.

HTH

I think your advice worked . . we'll see.

shroombloom2-6-07.jpg

Archived