SaltCritters.com

Live Sand vs crushed coral stuff

lienSlob

I am about to setup my tank again after moving.

things are going well with the crushed coral or dead sand i am using but should i go for Live Sand this go around?

I have an older book that basically said LS benefits/vs drawbacks werent really proven at the time, but had very good potential

what is the opinion now? PS i like LOW maintenance

I would at least "seed" your sand with good live sand from another established tank. BTW, I definitely wouldn't go with crushed coral as it is way too corse. Live or otherwise, I'd go with a fine sand (I like sugar fine) like southdown size. You can mix is up, but most infauna won't flourish with crushed coral.

Hey Hubu,

Why not? I've seen some FINE looking tanks with 100% oolic sand. I know they had to wait days for it to settle and were careful not to have a PH pointed straight down, but other than that. It looks fantastic and the amount of reflected light is amazing.

a fine sandbed is similar to a concrete pavement. too packed for anything. yeah it might look nice and everything. but its just too much of a risk, most people would tell you that fine sand is ok for a dsb, but make sure you have some coarse sand over it. things can get out of control with fine sane (i.e. a powerhead falling and having the current blown into the sand when you are not paying attention. and thats from experience.)

Archived