Coral Vue Hydros

Waterflow

DJSQeTCH

Starting up another reef tank out of a spare 10 gallon....I will keep just mushrooms, zoos, and rics in the tank which I will get from my 20 gallon to make some room there....since most of those are low flow corals can I just use the skilter 400 for water flow? (don't worry Im not using it as a protein skimmer just a small sump on the back). I might purchase a CPR or a remora as a protein skimmer as I have had much success with a CPR for my 20. Is it alright not to use a powerhead (old penguin 660) (I tried using one but it seemed too powerful for it) because it will just blow things around in that small space? thanks for your help

and, why not use the skilter as a protien skimmer ?

just add an airstone and make up some type of surface skimmer box for it and you're all set. A CPR is overkill for this size tank IMO, I have a CPR bak pak 2 on my 20gal and I used a moded Skilter 250 on my 10gal with no problems.

Anyway, I used a rio 90 in my 10gal to break up the flow of return water from the Skilter because I found it stired up the sand way to much, in a tank that shallow.

your mileage may vary, etc...

hey skeletor....I will buy some airstone tomorrow to see if the skilter 400 will skim something...its actually running rite now and its a great place to put a heater to have it out of view of the tank....anyways with the live rock and sand (no transfers of corals yet) nothing is being blown around and there seems to be good flow as I can see the small feather dusters in the live rock swaying in various directions...my question is if this is sufficient for mushrooms and rics and a little bit of zoos without any powerhead supplementation.

Hey DJSQeTCH,

You should have ample water movement for mushies, zoos and rics. Of course, you might want to make sure that you don't have any dead spots in the water, but a little bit of rock relocation should be able to fix that.

One problem with the Skilter is that there is no way to adjust the collection cup, so, make sure you drill it so it overflows back into the tank. (see the Skilter Mods Page )

All this has got me thinking I should bust out the Skilter and setup the 10gal again...

Archived