SaltCritters.com

My Crowded 2.5g AGA

Carinya

Had my 4g mantis tank spring a leak out of the blue. The 6g I was in the process of setting up for LPS just would not come together (check it) also due to leaks.

So off to the LFS for a 2.5g AGA. In the next month the LPS, lone SPS and mantis will be out of there and into the 6g. And in the next (hopefully) 6 months all the softies will be in my new seahorse setup. But for now, here she is.

Jan_07_FTS.jpg

Had my 4g mantis tank spring a leak out of the blue. The 6g I was in the process of setting up for LPS just would not come together (check it) also due to leaks.

So off to the LFS for a 2.5g AGA. In the next month the LPS, lone SPS and mantis will be out of there and into the 6g. And in the next (hopefully) 6 months all the softies will be in my new seahorse setup. But for now, here she is.

Jan_07_FTS.jpg

looks packt but looks purdy!

what type of mantis is it?

looks packt but looks purdy!

what type of mantis is it?

Thanks. I was able to pull some things out & trade them at a frag swap this past weekend, so it looks a little less jammed. The mantis is a Gonodactylaceus falcatus and looks like the last pic on the right side. I agree with Dr. Roy that it needs to be in a bigger tank (forthcoming) and although it seems fairly hardy, it is definitely not very interactive. It was a LFS hitchiker, so was not necessarily purchased because of getting this specific species. But I still like it.

C

y'know, that looks amazing for you having to just throw it in there as a temporary holding tank! that looks like it's all grown-in.

did the mantis smack a crack?

Awesome nano! what type of lighting are you using? i am thinking of constructing a similar tank.Where can you buy starfire glass? Any info would be more than helpful.

Thanks,

vanna101

Thanks. I was able to pull some things out & trade them at a frag swap this past weekend, so it looks a little less jammed. The mantis is a Gonodactylaceus falcatus and looks like the last pic on the right side. I agree with Dr. Roy that it needs to be in a bigger tank (forthcoming) and although it seems fairly hardy, it is definitely not very interactive. It was a LFS hitchiker, so was not necessarily purchased because of getting this specific species. But I still like it.

C

i think thats the same type as mine... mine looks like the 4th one down...

he was verry interactive the first coupla days, and now its hard for me to see anything other than evidence of him diging holes and stuff...

Thanks for the nice comments, guys. I am kinda suprised at how reasonable it looks, considering it was just thrown together. My 6g LPS tank is going through diatoms and hair algae, so it'll probably be another month or so til I start moving things over. When it starts to look more presentable I'll do a thread on it...what with the DIY & all.

did the mantis smack a crack?

Not that I'm aware of. The 4g mantis tank was the first every DIY tank I'd built and I think 3 years was probably a reasonable limit for the craftsmanship. (truth hurts) Besides, it was acrylic.

what type of lighting are you using?

It's a 70W MH with a 14K Astralux bulb. It seems too bright for the softies...the toadstool doesn't extend on its stalk the way it used to in my 18g. But hopefully by summer the softies will all be in my 15g seahorse tank. (regardless of whether I have seahorses at that time)

Where can you buy starfire glass?

This is not starfire. It's just a regular old 2.5 AGA. My DIY 6g LPS tank is starfire and I got it from a local glass shop. I think they also call it low-iron glass and starfire is just one brand name. If I had it to do over, I'd make the 6g out of just regluar glass. I don't think it makes that much of a difference on tanks this size.

Thanks again!

Archived