Top Shelf Aquatics

Cleaner shrimp molted... then disappeared...

septic_tank

I just bought a cleaner shrimp last week, and everything seemed fine, he was out and about, and had a nice place to hide under my LR...

and then on Wed afternoon he disappeared... and I have not seen him since...

On Thur I saw what I thought was him... dead... but when I fished it out of the tank it was what looked like his exoskeleton... well, part of it anyway (the head)... and I thought he had just molted... but my shrimp was no where to be seen...

I have just gone through the tank with a turkey baster blasting in all the likely "hiding places" but have not found him...

I have 6 snails and 5 hermits... and none are missing, although on Thurs there was a period where I couldn't find any of my hermits... I thought maybe they were munching on my poor dead cleaner shrimp, but there were no bits of shrimp meat flying around the tank.

Do you think that he is dead? or might he reappear?

I have BC29 with 30 lbs of LR... params are fine (temp 78 - 80, ammonia nitrates nitrites all zero, copper zero, pH 8.4)... and not too many places to hide (although there is a bit of a gap between one large piece of LR and the back of the tank... and there may be little "caves" and such back there)...

Should I give up hope???

poor little guy is most likely feeling a bit defenseless without his shell- give him some time- he'll wander out when he's ready. Try not to stress him out anymore than he already is!

Still no sign of him...

how small can they get when they hide? because the tank isn't that big, really... and there aren't that many hiding places....

he was about 3.5" long or so.. can they roll up into a ball or something?

I fear the worst... I think he's a goner... :(

but mine has been gone for... what, 5 days now? That's a long time I thought...

when you all say that your shrimps hide, do you mean that you can't see them at all? even if you look for them really hard? even in the middle of the night?

I'm trying to find something to cling to... poor shrimpy.... ...

Archived