Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

R/O water?

HogWinslow

Just a quick question about R/O water. I have a R/O system in my house for drinking water. The water comes out crystal clear. Would this water be good for mixing my reef water. I can't imagine that the machine outside Wal-Mart could do better. Thanks to all that reply.

HogWinslow

an RO filter is gonna remove alot more than visible particles. there are many types of RO filters 2 stage, 3 stage, 5 stage, RO/DI all of which will significantly improve water quality. i'd guess that water would be perfect and prolly more trustworthy than wal-water but i'd try to find out more about the filter. brand name, when the membrane was last changed out, prefilter? if you don't know the answers to those questions maybe you could describe it, using comparable pictures from a website to ease explanation. in a nut shell drinking water RO systems are very comparable to reef aquarium models-usually lower rejection but prolly good nuff.

HTH!

tg

those water machines at walmart claim to be UV RODI, but if you think about it, those machines can pump out 1 gal in a matter of minutes. with a 4 stage RODI system, it takes me at least an hr to pump out 5 gal of water, so thats like 20 min per gallon.

Archived