Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

best type of frag plug?

scribz718

• 2 weeks later...
which is better for adding abundantly to a new prop system ceramic or argonite based plugs?

Try the ones at Lowes/Home Depot. They are little square tiles, pure calcium carbonate or something like that. Works well for softies, LPS, and SPS.

ZoaMania

I like rubble---but---for volume--frag plugs are winning me over!

As long as the base is encrusted--you can grind off the "stem" with a dremel.

I have been buying some from oceanswonders on ebay---I like em. I have also used the Boston Aqua Farms ones---they are good too.

Sounds like this thread has gone to the rubble. Frag discs are less dense than some kids of LR. Marble tiles are more dense than any live rock I have ever seen. I think a flat even growth surface found on the frag plugs will be easier for the foot of the zoos to spread across. It is also easy to take polyps off the frag plugs/tiles because they are a flat surface.

SO why was I talking about density? Well I recently had an idea to score the frag disc before gluing the polyps onto it so that when that disc becomes over populated, I can simply break it apart into sections and glue those pieces onto 4 more frag plugs. I also tried this on a marble tile and it was a very slow process. I used a mini hacksaw to do the cutting.

Hey--I think we all kinda missed the original qvestion--sorry!!

What size is your new prop set up? And how many do you plan on adding?

I know there is sometimes a concern about leaching phosphates or affecting ph with a large addition of plugs.

Let us know what you got goin on so we can get all up in your stuff!!! :D

Archived