Top Shelf Aquatics

Mantis shrimp tank minimums

Mudfish

Are there any mantis species that can be comfortably housed in a 2.5 gallon? If not, what about a 5.5? I'd like to do a pico in my office, and a mantis would be way cool.... But only if appropriately sized, of course.

I have natasha in my 1.5G just fine (she's maybe an inch long) and Boris never leaves his cave in my 6G. (info is in the links in my signatures)

both were free hitchikers - and neither are very interactive.

go with the 5 gal, your mantis will be stoked, and you can have more stuff too.

but, you could get a 10gal for $12 and really go all out. :D

I have natasha in my 1.5G just fine (she's maybe an inch long) and Boris never leaves his cave in my 6G. (info is in the links in my signatures)

both were free hitchikers - and neither are very interactive.

For a one inch mantis, sure 1.5g works, but I'm assuming mudfish will want to keep his/her mantis in one tank until (ideally) it reaches full adulthood. The most commonly seen mantises require at least 5g.

Your G. affinis is a rare one so I tend to ignore that species when people ask this queston. Plus it's an oddball in that it's one of the very few that are happy with smaller tanks. According to Roy's list would be happy as an adult in a 2.5g minimum. Besides, a bigger volume is, generally, easier to maintain and gives you more options.

IMO a larger volume also makes a mantis (and most other things for that matter) more comfortable and may make it more sociable.

Archived