Innovative Marine Aquariums

Fraging?

hollister_08

Well my parents have a scroll coral in there tank that i am going to frag for my 30gal. I was wondering if you frag them just like you do montipora?? Break off a piece with your hand, and glue it to a rock..

ive never fragged one, but most of their growth is wild growth meaning the calcium structure will be harder. I think you'll need to exert a lot more force on it to break it than a montipora. unless it's fragged where it's been captively grown, then it may be easy enough to break.

from what i would guess, yo can just frag it like a monti cap.

The Propagator

Yup. What six said.

If it is all thick wild growth just break out the dremel ;)

Score it on top with a carbon disk in one clean cut about half way through the surface then it will snap right off evenly and look like you used a scalpal ;)

Now if there is alot of thick rock under it your prety well fooked until it grows out past it.

Ya thanks, i fraged it a couple nights ago. It is looking great, i took about 7 pieces off of it. But ya the only reason i was fragging it was because it wasnt doing to well in my parents tank, and my dad ruff handled it a couple days before that, so it started to look a little greyish on the top, and starting to bleach some from the bottom.. So i fraged it, and then put it under some higher light, and it seems to be making a come back! But ill see how it does, and if it dont get better i will frag as much as i can.. Anyway ya it looks like its wild, im not shur though? It is really tight together, and no there is not a whole lot of rock under it! But i will try to take a pic here in a little while..

P.S. Love your tank Propagator!!!

Here we go, here's some pics!

This only a couple frags, i have 2 more at the top that are hard to get a pic of!

Anyways i just broke off some pieces with my hand, around the edge. And i super glued them to some rocks.

• 2 weeks later...
Here we go, here's some pics!

This only a couple frags, i have 2 more at the top that are hard to get a pic of!

Anyways i just broke off some pieces with my hand, around the edge. And i super glued them to some rocks.

Nice! Glad to see it worked for you. I've yet to try this.

Well my parents have a scroll coral in there tank that i am going to frag for my 30gal. I was wondering if you frag them just like you do montipora?? Break off a piece with your hand, and glue it to a rock..

That is a beautiful coral. I have one that is really similar, and I always assumed it was a monti cap, but i maight be wht you have.

Do you happen to know the scienific name of this coral?

Ciao,

Felipe aka ZoaMania

Thanks everyone, the frags are doing very well and the colony is starting to heal up.. And yes i do have the scientific name for it (Turbinaria sp). Thanks again!

Archived