Pod Your Reef

what to do with a 18x18x11 tank?

arcab4

ahh. mondays.

i have a 18x18x11 (length x width x height) cube tank sitting around with a few turtles in it. i thought i would see if i could make it into a small reef tank but not sure where to even start.

do you guys think it's a good size? i don't want a hood or a hanging light for it. hoping there was a clamp on lighting system or something. mostly this tank will be for zoos and other softies. no sps.

let me know if you gys have anysuggestions. kinda curious on what other people think i should do with the tank.

THanks!

Johnny

That would be a very cool lagoon type tank. I had a 24x24x8 for a while and used it as a clam lagoon with a pendant halide....I loved it.

I favor pendants....it would be hard to find a good that fit that anyhow unless you built a canopy.

Cameron

Hi Cameron,

Do you have a picture of your tank? i would love to see how it looks like. the place where the tank is now, i'm not sure if i'm able to hook up a pendant. i dont' want a hood b/c i want to be able to view it from top-down.

if i remember..JBJ Lighting..don't they offer a clamp-on lighting system. time to do some searching!

Johnny

it would be a nice tank, and would be nicely aquascaped in a Horseshoe with a patch in the center for sand dwellers. the large surface area and shallowness will be ideal for any reef. Its all about surface area.

Try a Prizim pendant 14 inch all inclusive 250 W halide with 2 32W pc actinics as a pendant. it will work nicely susspended about 18 inches off the surface.

oh cool. thanks. i'll check it out.

do you think since it's pretty shallow..i can get away with a lower wattage than 250? like a 175..or lower?

sorry kennerd,

i must have removed the sticker. i couldnt' find a brand name on there. it definately wasn't the cheapo topfin tanks.

Archived