inTank Media Baskets

Occelaris' Anemone!

Uploadead

Can anyone tell me what Occelaris hosting anemone will fit into a 14g nano?

45x45x40 cm

Unfortunately ocellaris' natural host anemones are Heteractis magnifica and Stichodactyla gigantea, large and/or giant sea anemones, and they dont do so well with nanos :P But a few people seem to have good sucess with BTAs and heres a list of suggested anem's for occys. I found online:

Carpet anemone,

Ritteri (Maroon) anemone

Saddle anemone

Bubble (tip) anemone

Good luck, hth.

Unfortunately ocellaris' natural host anemones are Heteractis magnifica and Stichodactyla gigantea, large and/or giant sea anemones, and they dont do so well with nanos :P But a few people seem to have good sucess with BTAs and heres a list of suggested anem's for occys. I found online:

Carpet anemone,

Ritteri (Maroon) anemone

Saddle anemone

Bubble (tip) anemone

Good luck, hth.

Don't carpet, saddle, and bubble anemone get pretty big? lika 12" inch in diameter or bigger?

Mr_G would be correct.

Carpet, ritteri, sebae, and saddle anemones all get pretty good size and really are not ideal for a nano.

Bubble tips do get big, but usually seem to work out in nanos ok. Better choice than the others if you ask me.

This is all assuming you have enough light to keep any anemone alive.

This is all assuming you have enough light to keep any anemone alive.

How much light are we talkin? is 6.4 watts per gallon enough? I'm runnin a PC 50/50 i believe 10k daylight and 6400 actinic

I think the whole general idea for most anemones would be to keep it in at least a 20g or bigger (preferably bigger) tank, but small specimens can be found and if you ever attempt to upgrade, it shouldnt pose too much of a problem. I have a bubble tip in my 10g, but plan on upgrading to a 29g in the next few months, so if you want to keep smaller tanks permanently an anemone wouldnt be the best idea, but thats just my opinion. Im sure there are species that stay small that Im unaware of but about them being reef safe and small tank friendly i dont know. Good luck.

How much light are we talkin? is 6.4 watts per gallon enough? I'm runnin a PC 50/50 i believe 10k daylight and 6400 actinic

usuallly its more of how close to the light the anemone is, I have 80w pc on my 10g and thats about usual reccomendation, but I believe someone on here is going to attempt to keep one higher up in his tank in a 20g with 65w pc.

Im not sure weather to use a leather coral instead, I hear theres something called a dwarf carpet aneome?

Dunno weather thats true though ;)

here it is, the quote of my other thread :

Mini carpets and majanos are small (2 inches) and easy to keep.

mini carpets are one thing but majano's are pest anemones. I would stay away from them. As far as i know the mini carpets wont host but i could be wrong.

Condy wont host a clown.

cliffords condy hosts his maroon...s'pose its worth a try, i was gunna mention them earlier but I dunno how big they get.

Mini carpets arent really worth it id think, thing just looks like a wacked out ricordea to me, and about the same size too, so even if it did host which I highly doubt, itd look retarded to see a clownfish hosting something the size of a half dollar lol

if your just asfter something for your clown to host you could try hammer coral or frogspawn or leathers or xenia/kenya tree/colt coral or a big shroom or toadstool something like that, occys will host any of those

Mini carpets arent really worth it id think, thing just looks like a wacked out ricordea to me, and about the same size too, so even if it did host which I highly doubt, itd look retarded to see a clownfish hosting something the size of a half dollar lol

if your just asfter something for your clown to host you could try hammer coral or frogspawn or leathers or xenia/kenya tree/colt coral or a big shroom or toadstool something like that, occys will host any of those

I was leaning towards a large toadstool coral, do they come in colours other thank brown?

About the clown hosting thing....I think it depends on the clown too. My clown tried to host with my Yashia Haze goby, i have the video to prove it which I showed Adin. My clown now hosts with my frogspawn and sometimes my mushrooms :) Shoot, the aquarium of the pacific has a huge tank of clowns and tangs and use euphylias (misspelled? etc. frogspawn, torch). The public just assumes the corals are anemones. hehe

Oh I also have three mini carpets, the clown seems to ignore them.

Archived