Pod Your Reef

The Squamosa Experiment

Gilman

Well after waiting almost a year, I have decided to try adding a small (2" or so) Squamosa clam to our 7gal Minibow. I will be feeding the tank DT's once a week and will see how it responds to this. I do not dose the tank, so no calcium supplements or other chems will be added. I am hoping this lil guy will grow quickly. If it does in fact grow, I will be giving it to a local reefer with a much larger reef once it has outgrown our Minibow.

Here are some pics taken last evening....

clam1.jpg

clam2.jpg

clam3.jpg

clam4.jpg

In this photo, I shined a flashlight on the clam to show how it sparkles like vegas.

clam5.jpg

Gil

sparkles like vegas...LOL

gil-i've got a squamy (might be related they look so identical:)) in my alife 7 under the standard PC lighting (27W 50/50) and he's done really well for 4+ months now, maybe longer. i feed DT's occasionally and like you don't dose as this is my softy tank. i've noticed a few ridges on his shell-and good mantle extension. GL with yours!

tg

Hey Twins Guy,

Glad to hear your experience has been good so far. This gives me more hope for longer lived success. How occasionally are you feeding the DT's? Thanks for sharing your experience.

Gil

DT's twice a week at most, prolly more like .5-1 times/week-what can i say-i'm lazy! when i first went squamy i also had a few SPS frags temporarily housed in the tank and consequently dosed C-balance (1ml of each part daily). as you would expect, growth appeared to be more robust with calcium/alk/mag/other supplementation. i also rarely feed the tank so the last time i checked, nitrates were quite low. i'd guess in a system with a lil higher bioload some more trates might be available and growth might accelerate. curious to see what your experience is like-and i always look forward to your gorgeous pics!

tg

harbingerofthefish

Gil,

A couple of quick q's for you. Is that the same candy cane? I mean is there 2 frags in the tank together or has your original grown THAT MUCH!? What do you feed the corals in there? Everything looks great. Didn't you have a blasstomussa in there too?

BigReefer :blush:

harbinger,

That is in fact the same candy cane. There is another 2 polyp frag on the left side of the frag, but the main growth is all from the original 3 polyped frag. It really has grown quite a bit.

Right after we got the candy coral frag

candy06061.jpg

This taken 03.09.03 Last 2 polyps on the left are a seperate frag a gift from tow-up.

030803candygoby.jpg

We feed the tank every couple days with frozen Formula One (the red stuff).

We did have a blastomussa wellsi, but there really was no room for it, so I gave it to one of my friends who has a larger reef.

Gil

harbingerofthefish

That is just incredible. It's been what like 8 months? and it's now like 6X the size...amazing, beautiful,... :)

I too had a welssi, that I couldn't find a place for, so since it was given to me, I gave it to someone with a much larger tnak. I kept a frag though and it seems to doing fine.

So you feed the tank as a whole? No target feeding?

harbinger,

The growth of our Candy frag has definitely been impressive to watch. I have seen Candy corals that grow faster under higher lighting and with calcium supplements being added, but there are also slower growing ones as well. Project Reef over on RC has a really neat colored Candy coral that grows SLOW. I want a frag of it, but will be waiting a while and getting line more than likely.

I wish we could have fragged the Wellsi, but it was just one big piece! No matter how I set it in the tank, it was always too close to something that would get it. Mushrooms etc.

I do target feed our Tulip Anenomes, but other than that the Formula One is just squirted in with an eyedropper. As per instructions on Clams Direct.com (thanks Barry), I will be target feeding our new Squamosa clam DT's. Haven't decided if I will remove the clam from the tank to do that or just cut a water bottle top off and use that in the tank over the clam to target feed instead.

Gil

Archived