ReefCleaners.org

12 Gallon Eclipse with 96w retro

Primeval

the stock filtration is still in it. I removed the biowheel of course and the stock filter pad. I added half a bag of chemipure and put filter floss on top of it to catch the crud. I had to bend the reflector a bit to make it fit but it fits fine all together with a small hole in the back left for me to feed.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It seems the poor xenia is wilting. Its at the top of the tank with moderate flow. Does it need stronger flow? I thought xenia wasnt really picky about anything

EDIT: I'm pretty sure it should look like this. http://www.aquacon.com/images/Redseaxenia.gif

It was rather flacid when I added it to the tank and its only looking worse.

NanoCube-boy

Why is that? What makes it difficult for you two to keep it?

I'm sorry, I'm curious because I'm planning to purchase one later on.

PrettyEyesSCT

I'm not sure why we weren't able to keep it alive. We placed it towards the top of the tank so it could get good lighting and it was right near the powerhead, getting pretty good water flow. It looked fine the first three days or so, and then the next day it was all curled up in little balls and wilted. And the next day, I tried to move it to give it a little more flow and the powerhead just blew all the dead pieces all over the tank. Not sure what happened to it... Any suggestions would be great, because I really wanted to have some in my tank.

alexmurovec

awesome looking tank, it sure is growing fast! i was curious what coral that is you have in the top right corner of your tank. in one picture you had all your corals along the top of your tank, and named, but i'm new to this and dont even know which name corrasponds to which coral, haha. thanks in advance, alex.

PrettyEyesSCT
awesome looking tank, it sure is growing fast! i was curious what coral that is you have in the top right corner of your tank.

Yeah, it certainly is growing fast. When stuff gets under my lighting, it takes off like crazy. I think you're referring to the huge round pink thing. What's funny is we had actually ordered a yellow leather, but they sent that. Looking at other pics, I think we determined that it is a pink toadstool leather. That's what gives it a different shape than a regular leather. Hope this helps! Good luck with your tank. Keep us posted!

alexmurovec

well that toadstool definetly looks like it grows like a weed. do you find it needs much intensive care? would you recommend it as a decent coral for a beginner?

PrettyEyesSCT

It grows like crazy. Again, I have 96w of light, but yes. When I got it, it was probably only 3"x4" across.... Now it's about 4 1/2"x5". I might have to remove it from my tank and trade it at my LFS if it gets too much bigger. I'm afraid it'll get top heavy and fall off. But yes, I'd say it's a good coral for a beginner. I'm pretty sure it's just photosynthetic cause I've never seen it eat any frozen food. It pulls in its tentacle things at night, and comes back out during the day. I would definitely suggest it!

NanoCube-boy

I think it's great for beginner, doesn't need much lighting, about 24watts 50/50, some feeding, and medium for about 270gph, should keep it live.

hahaha, it will get so fat and big, you will get a rockslide there. hahaha. Man, that thing is big, do you frag it? save it, make some buck out of it and help the ocean reef at the same time. aquaculture is the keep of preventing buying wild caught.

alexmurovec

definetly sounds like i might have to get one of these corals once my tank is read for it. i just bought a ballast for a 70W MH so i'm gonna get building my own fixture once the ballast arrives. by the way, if any of you need a 70W MH ballast, pm "Anuanu Humu" on this site. he bought 20 in bulk and is only using 5, so hes got a bunch to sell, and they are reasonably priced! so anyways, i think i will have enough lighting for this guy, and i'm pushing around 400gph in my tank right now. another quick question, i have lots of hair algae right now, and that 400gph is giving a work out to every part of my tank, and i can see because of that hair algae. it really sways and almost seems like if i were to have a coral in there, it would be too much flow. any opinions?

coral_addict

Not sure what city you live in but your man is your livestock cheap there!! I pay 2-3 times your price here in Houston.

NanoCube-boy

hmmm 400gph? I think it's fine for coral at that rate, depends on the coral you want also. 400gph, you can get some medium flow rate corals that would be great. Some time mushroom doesn't like a lot of flow, but you can always find a spot in your tank that is less flow running to it.

As for the hair algaes, do you have any fish, corals, and or inverts in your tank yet?

alexmurovec
hmmm 400gph? I think it's fine for coral at that rate, depends on the coral you want also. 400gph, you can get some medium flow rate corals that would be great. Some time mushroom doesn't like a lot of flow, but you can always find a spot in your tank that is less flow running to it.

As for the hair algaes, do you have any fish, corals, and or inverts in your tank yet?

ya, 400gph in a 20g isn't even that much according to most people. it just seems like to much, i can watch little particles go in the water current, and they just fly around the whole tank. on that note, the particles are going in and out of the rocks and circling the tank, then back over the overflow, so thats good. anyways, i was just trying to say that it sure seems like the corals would get a beating, but facts say they should be good. the hair algae is just really light, so i guess thats why its flyin!

about the hair algae, it started about 1.5 weeks in and i added 2 astrea snails and 2 red scarlet hermits. its been about a week now since i added them and they are finally starting to pick away at it. i did another full test and after seeing no signs of a cycle (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate) for 2.5 weeks, i finally got a reading of 0.5ppm of ammonia. i dont think that my tank is just starting to cycle, because i got a bunch of hair algae, which comes after the chemicals. i'm assuming that the ammonia is just coming from the snail and hermit poop.

i haven't done a water change yet, and dont know when i should do my first one. nitrates are still at 0, and have been for the whole time my tank has been setup. if you got any opinion on when i should do a water change, let me know, because i've been mixing water for the last week. i want to take things slow, but i also am thinking of adding a zoo frag or something easy like that.

thanks for your help in advance

alexmurovec
alexmurovec,

You haven't done your water change? might be a good time soon.

How long your tank is up?

my tank will be approaching 3 weeks of setup as of this weekend. my nitrates are still at zero, and this is why i do not know if i should do a water change or not. i do have some salt water that has been mixing for a week. if you think i should make a water change this weekend, let me know.

NanoCube-boy

alexmurovec, what about your water paremters? How many gallon is your tank?

Water change is very important because it replenish trace element, corect the balance of calcium and ph.

alexmurovec
alexmurovec, what about your water paremters? How many gallon is your tank?

Water change is very important because it replenish trace element, corect the balance of calcium and ph.

sorry, its a 20H, i should have been more specific. i know that i need to do water changes, i'm not totally new to aqariums. i figured that people do a water change after their cycle, and i still have hair algae, so i'm assuming i'm still in it. params have been 0 since the very first day i setup my tank, and ph has been a steady 7.8. i did a 20% water change last night and i will see if that helps the hair algae go away. if not, any recommendations on critters that will eat it? my snails and hermits dont even touch it.

NanoCube-boy

alexmurovec, Hmm... I see that your tank might be in cycle, but then again, it's shouldn't be that long if you used Sea Water. You ph is slight low, but acceptable. Reef pH usually good at 8.0-8.4, I believe. Here check this page out and see if you need to add supplements and additives to your tank to balance things out. http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rhf/index.php

Let's go back to your algae problem. I have the same problems with hairy algae problem, but I know I tend to over feed my tank. Do you? I have hermits and snails, but the snails only work on walls and window. My hermits can't keep up eating the algae. I think you should get about four to six Emerald Crabs because when I first bought about four for my twelve gallon tank, they went to work right when they acclimated. They acclimated in only four hours.

Do you mix synthetic sea water? Or do you buy sea water? Sometime making synthetic sea water from tap can cause algae, even if conditioning.

It's best to mix with DI water only and buffer it.

alexmurovec

i bought such cured rock, that after 2 weeks of no signs of ammonia, nitrite or nitrate, people suggested that maybe i wouldn't even have a cycle. i have some growback of a colony of button polyps and they are doing great! i added 2 hermits and 2 snails, and its been a week since they have been in the tank. i have always been using reverse osmosis water with instant ocean salt mix, not sea water. with my recent water change, my ph may balance out at around 8.0, so i will check today. my phosphate levels have been 0, which confuses me why i have so much hair algae. i have considered getting 1 emerald crab, but have also read alot of bad about them. if they are not fed enough they will start to attack fish and corals. as for feeding my tank, i am not. i only have the critters in there, and their food is on the rocks and sand. i have not added any corals or fish yet, but would like to add a couple corals once i get my algae problem figured out.

alexmurovec, Hmm... I see that your tank might be in cycle, but then again, it's shouldn't be that long if you used Sea Water. You ph is slight low, but acceptable. Reef pH usually good at 8.0-8.4, I believe. Here check this page out and see if you need to add supplements and additives to your tank to balance things out. http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rhf/index.php

Let's go back to your algae problem. I have the same problems with hairy algae problem, but I know I tend to over feed my tank. Do you? I have hermits and snails, but the snails only work on walls and window. My hermits can't keep up eating the algae. I think you should get about four to six Emerald Crabs because when I first bought about four for my twelve gallon tank, they went to work right when they acclimated. They acclimated in only four hours.

Do you mix synthetic sea water? Or do you buy sea water? Sometime making synthetic sea water from tap can cause algae, even if conditioning.

It's best to mix with DI water only and buffer it.

Archived