ReefCleaners.org

Blue Tang Dying :(

sammy113

I got a blue tang 5 days ago. First he was very happy swimming around and eating normally. Yesterday was hiding in the rocks and never came out even to eat. Today y fund it swimming weird and falling to the sand. I picked it put of the tank and put it in my refugium to watch him closely. I don't really know what happened... I got in my tank just a 4 stripe damsel which is very passive with the tang, a cleaner shrimp, few crabs and snails and 2 f***g anemones (LTA, Pink Condy) which I think it was the ones who sting the tang. Can I do something to save him? Here's a pic of the tang. Notice the red spots in the face :(

DSC02780.jpg

DSC02790.jpg

DSC02828.jpg

what size tank is he in?

20g Main tank 5g refugium... I know... is a tang... Everybody says thats small for a tang. But its a tiny one. Anyway was eventually moving it to a 45g

20g Main tank 5g refugium... I know... is a tang... Everybody says thats small for a tang. But its a tiny one. Anyway was eventually moving it to a 45g

tang po' po' is coming

dont know what to do other than have it in at LEAST 55gallons, good luck

i dont know if a 20L is a good place to have two different anemones either....size of the tang? age of the tank? Looks like it got stung bad.

Tang is about 1" Tank is 2 months 3 weeks, but all the ls and lr came from my older tank... Actually was a bigger one... but i wanted to have a cube. So i DIY this one.

thats a tiny one, bummer, i dont think anyone can rip on you for havng a one inch tang in 20 gallons, its face does look like it got stung, plus stress, sorry :( dont know much to do, hope for the best

i dont think anyone can rip on you for havng a one inch tang in 20 gallons

:huh: It is laying there half dead.

Seriously, blue hippo in 20g, not a good idea no matter how big it is. These guys acclimate horribly as it is. This is not a fish you want to be moving around. Get a big enough tank setup to do it right the first time.

Face looks scratched up from trying to jam itself into the rock work to hide. I'd just shut the lights off and leave it alone. Stay away from the tank so you don't stress it out any more. If it is already on the ground though, the damage may be done. Costly lesson. Nothing you can do that won't stress it out more at this point, so I'd just leave everything be, check on it in the morning.

it didnt die from being stung. it may have did him the rest of the way in, but those fish know to not get stuck in anemones.

it's stress related either from transfer, acclimation or lack of, or the fact that these fish usually dont do well, expecially in a nano tank. next time you try it, do it directly in the 45, but even that is too small for a 12" fish.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived