Cultivated Reef

Peppermint shrimp not doing their job

lsmith87

We just bought some peppermint shrimp last week to deal with our small aiptasia problem, but all six of the little guys are hanging out underneath a rock and aren't showing any interest in the aiptasia. Has anyone else had this problem? Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Micro_managemenT

Mine went to work as soon as the lights went out. after 3 days....no more aiptasia!

I think I read that wild captured shrimp are more likely to eat aiptasia than captive bred.

Maybe if they get hungry, they'll get to work!

I have noticed my peppermint shrimp doesn't come out of the cave until the lights come out. Do any of your shrimp move around after dark?

I read somewhere that there are two types of peppermints. There's one that is native to the Pacific and one that is native to the Atlantic. Only one of them eats the stuff but I can't remember which it was. Mine didn't touch any until about a week then went ape on it and got it all within a few days.

How large is your tank? Six shrimp should compete for food fiercely. I have two and they cleaned up everything in a couple of days. Now they fight over every scrap.

This is what I did to get my shrimps interested in the aiptasia. Be aware that this is at your own risk. I fed the aiptasia. The shrimps then started poking at the aiptasia to get at the food. Then I poked the heck out of the aiptasia so it started gooing a little. The shrimps went after the goo! Try that! :)

My pep went straight to work as soon as I put him in, I got him from a not so good store, so im guessing he hadnt been getting to much food, cause as soon as he found one he ripped it a new one, I even had a good 3" long aiptasia that was a way bigger then the little pep was.... well he reduced it to nothing in minutes.

Can we borrow him? :)

Ours still aren't doing too much - a couple of them venture out after the lights go out, but they don't seem to be eating the aipstasia. Mostly they just hang out upside down in a little cave near the bubble-tip and sway back and forth - looks like they're dancing.

Thanks for all the input! My husband doesn't want to poke the aipstasia, for fear of it taking over the rest of the tank if the shrimps don't start eating it right away. :)

I'll let you know if they ever decide to do their job. BTW - we have a 150 gallon tank.

I had a lot of trouble getting my peppermint to eat aips too. But finally fixed it with taking the infested rock out and sitting the infected area in a shallow dish of cold DI water. Cover the rock in newspaper damped with tank water and let sit for an hour. Replace in tank. My peppermint loved them after that. Seems not to damage coralline algae/macroalgae if you don't overdo it.

May not be practical for your tank depending on your aquascaping, but I'd rather harm the aips and let the peppermint finish them off than sticking myself with a syringe full of joe's juice.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, the peppermints FINALLY got to the Aipstasia! At least, I'm assuming they did... they're getting bigger, venturing out of their cave, and there's no sign of the two smaller Aipstasia. There is one big one left, but it's on the other side of the tank and I don't think they've discovered it yet. Also, last weekend, one of the shrimp ate a big Bristleworm - took him all day to finish it!

Archived