inTank Media Baskets

Linkia showing signs of rot

tyh

my orange linkia is showing signs of rotting after 2 months.... one of its legs seem to have a very( very very) slight rot. what should i do?? please advise

i dont think they are really meant for such small tanks. UNless its a really tiny one, I would say trade it into an LFS for some credit.

linkias are extremely sensitive to any fluctuation in alkalinity, pH, or salinity, and react in exactly the way you are describing. Do you have automatic top off on your nano and how are you dosing. If it isn't automated, or strictly adhered to, you are going to suffer swings in these parameter very easily in small volume tanks.

Where are you located? I could always take the little guy in trade and let my harlequind feast away!

It isn't rotting, it is starving to death and resorted to re-absorbing it's own tissue as a last ditch survival effort.

Linckia aren't really that sensitive to changes in pH and alkalinity, they ARE sensitive to changes in specific gravity because it affects their hydrostatic system; quick changes can cause tissues to rupture. Where this the case your star would have suffered problems fairly soon after you had acquired it.....as it has been 2 months the problem is most likely dietary.

Archived