Cultivated Reef

Filtration for FO or FOWLR tank.

moorediddy

I'm going to be setting up an Eclipse System 12, and was thinking about going Fish Only for now, to save on Live Rock costs. I'm on a pretty tight budget, but really want to start a tank. My questions are:

1. If I have a 12gal FO setup, what kind of filter setup will I need?

2. If I have a FOWLR setup, but with minimal live rock, such as only 5-7lbs... what kind of extra filtration would I need?

I'm also planning on using Live Sand in the bottom either way.

-Moore

the eclipse (any bio-wheel) is very efficient for a FO. it depends on what kind of fish (metabolism, size, & diet) but generally the bio-wheel is sufficient. if you want coral and stuff then it becomes a different story.

thru no guidelines other than my own "monkey-see, monkey-do", i usually gauge it at around 50gph per small fish for hob filters. real fuzzy guidelines, i know but hey, it's individual systems, individual fish, and individual hobbyists. and those are cumulative variables btw. ;) hth

Alright, I checked Marineland.com and it says the Eclipse 12 is certified for 150gph. So I figure, with the stock bio-wheel filter, approx. 5lbs of LR, some LS in the bottom, I should be fine to keep 2 perc clowns and some hermits...

Anyone disagree? Please tell me... I could be missing something.

[ Edit ]

One more quick question... this tank used to be a FW tank. Do I need to clean out the Bio-wheel, and add a new cartridge before I switch to SW?

-moore

whoa, waitaminute. that 50gph is just something i dreamt up in an iodine stupor and use for myself. i don't want you to hang your setup on that and then come back in two months saying i'm an asshat. (which i may be but that shouldn't apply here since i'm putting out a disclaimer first) :P

rinse out the tank if you ever medicated it. i'd soak for a coule of weeks too but that's just me. clean everything out as those bene bacteria aren't the same and you would just be adding crappie to the new sw.

Hah, I'm not holding you to that as an exact measure... I was just asking if you thought that'd be an ok rate for that tank.

Yeah, I plan on cleaning it out, and probably have to get a new biowheel, or cleaning it out thoroughly... maybe letting it cycle through for a bit longer...

-moore

Archived