Top Shelf Aquatics

Did I ID this snail wrong?

Polystigma

When I bought the live rock for my 5g pico, there was a hitchhiker snail that I thought was a Narcissus. Today, I put in a couple new snails and just now I found the "Narcissus" on a similarly sized Margarita snail. It was sitting over the opening of the snail.

I was able to pick them out and the Margarita seems OK. But I have to wonder, did I ID this wrong? I thought Narcissus were sand sifters, not predatory.

I'll get a photo. Until then, does anyone have any ideas?

"Nassarius"?

I think a Narcissus snail would spend all of it's time looking at its reflection in the glass, instead of hiding in the sand :P

I think there is a snail that looks a lot like a Nass, but is preditor, for the life of me I can't remember the name of it... which makes me uncertian about it atm.

I think there is a snail that looks a lot like a Nass, but is preditor, for the life of me I can't remember the name of it... which makes me uncertian about it atm.

Are you thinking of a whelk?

"Nassarius"?

I think a Narcissus snail would spend all of it's time looking at its reflection in the glass, instead of hiding in the sand :P

That would be Narcissistic or Narcissism, but thanks for your help. :rolleyes:

Pardon me if my spell check changed it to something you did not approve of.

omg. whelks.

i was infested with about 5 of those guys.

you shoulda seen them, they worked like a fleet.

i added a cleaner shrimp, and all 5 of them ganged up on him and raped him :-( tried it again, and they raped another one.

so i trapped all five of them and chucked them out the window :-)

on the 3rd cleaner, and this one is doing awesome lol

if you have any doubt their a whelk, kill them, cuase they will destroy lol, espicalliy if u have alot of inverts.

If they look unusually big, then they are mostly likely whelks. nassarius snails are usually pretty small.

just my two cents.

good luck!

It is a whelk. Thanks A1 and Buehler.

This one a big. The problem now is that I know there are at least two more small ones.

DRoy, I now feel your pain. Here it is. About an inch long:

whelk.jpg

Whew, he's a meaty one.

I can't imagine having those in my tank. My Nassarius snails are like an organized special forces team. I can't imagine what an army of these things would do...

Whew, he's a meaty one.

I can't imagine having those in my tank. My Nassarius snails are like an organized special forces team. I can't imagine what an army of these things would do...

Do you have a picture of the shell on it's foot? Or where ever it is...

Archived