inTank Media Baskets

My new prop system

UKNanoNoob

I had been toying with the idea of a prop system for some time now and decided to take the plunge and have my own system specifically for coral propogation.

It is a light blue custom made fibre glass trough which measures 67 inches wide by 14 inches deep by 9 inches high. I had it made to these measurments so as it fits in the cuboard under my stairs. I have hooked up a 40 gallon sump along with 8 inches of LS to help with water volume and filtration. This system has now been running for a little over a year with nothing in it except some LR in the sump and some small pieces in the trough itself, so everything is well seeded now with loads of life.

The lighting for this trough is 2 250 watt arcadia pendants along with 4 55 watt actinic tubes built in to the pendants. At this stage i really dont know what i would like to start my propogation hands at and would like some pointers please as too what would be a good starter. Im looking for things that are going too be fairly easy and also are sought after too.

The main perpose for this system is too give my self a little extra cash too spend on my 10 gallon nano. Also how do you all sugest i advertise my stock once i get a little into it. I live in the UK and we have very few forums.

thanks for your views in advance :)

That sounds fantastic! Nicely done--

Start with what you like. You can always mix it up. You have the light for just about anything. I started with zoanthids and -- you know what they say about zoanthids.....They lead to more serious corals. :)

You can do some SPS like orange, purple or green montiporas--in all the colors they come in. The nice thing about having a "prop" set up is when you see that "must have" coral in the shop or with a buddy, you have the room to get it!! :)

It's really what you like. Plus, I am sure the availability and demand is different where you are compared to the US.

Welcome---have a blast!

mvite do you have a prop system then? I was thinking of starting with some zoas and maybe some GSP

I do--Just with a large plastic tub. Take a look at my thread a couple below this one for some shots of my racks.

The Propagator

Your set up does sound just about perfect man.

Just remember its going to be a frag/prop tank and it will not hold a cycle as easy as a stable reef tank will so you will need a GOOD protein skimmer and also make sure you keep up with water changes, and keep on track with your calcium dosing and what not.

Frag systems are a little more complex because you are constantly pushing the edge a little to get them to grow faster.

Take your time and play with it.

Find your groove and a method that works for you.

Good luck and remember we are all here for you when you need help !

:)

The Propagator

I do for picking algae, and eating flat worms.

But I have the size and filtration for it too.

Most frag systems I would say dont keep fish in.

I live in britain, south england is SPS land. (I live in north wales- but PFK don't lie ;) ) North wales and presumable england is LPS and softies.

I think i will be giving the fish a miss for now. My set up is only small so i can keep on top of any algae etc...

Sorry to keep asking all these questions but do any of you propagators use CUCs in your tanks?

Hi uploaded! hows things?

• 2 weeks later...
I think i will be giving the fish a miss for now. My set up is only small so i can keep on top of any algae etc...

Sorry to keep asking all these questions but do any of you propagators use CUCs in your tanks?

Hi uploaded! hows things?

I would have atleast one fish in there if I were you. Maybe a six-line wrasse to eat any potential zonthid-eating-nudibranchs.

Or a small tang to pick on any algae growth.

it is unnatural to have corals without fish around them. Their poop is a great source of naturalfood for corals.

Just my opinion.

Feipe aka ZoaMania

Archived