Coral Vue Hydros

yellow tang wants mollie to clean him?

killahbeez2000

killahbeez2000

Hey guys i have been noticeing that my yellow tang will present himself in front of the mollie on a vertical slant and want my mollie to clean him. Occasionally ill see the mollie pick some stuff of the tang but 90 % of the time he wont. Should i just get a cleaner shrimp?

I'm only answering this because I know he's in a 75. A 75 is not a nano, so the word Tang is not looked upon in a good way. Your T is aproaching the mollie in the way it wants to be inspected. YES add a cleaner, or maybe a blue, no a cleaner. That should help. Why are you in the nano? Just curious. I have way better euphemisms but I don't feel like typing them out. Hope I helped....YAhoooooouuoooBwaaahaaahha

i have to disagree with this one...

cleaner wrasse are very easy to take care of, giving it the right kind and amount of food, it will easily grow in captivity..

just make sure that you are not getting a false cleaner wrasse, they pick on the fishes scales and slime instead of the parasites..

and how could you tell if its a false cleaner wrasse? well.. GOOD LUCK...

By the smell. I dated a real skank once in college. Had to lay down the ultimatum and told her to cleaner wrasse or it was over. Sure, she made promises, but once you start working up a sweat and that funk comes wafting up, it will be quite apparent whether or not you have a false cleaner.

you only need a cleaner wrasse when servicing a large population of fish. They will starve in captivity unless they accept prepared foods. Its hit and miss. Cleaner wrasse are better left in the ocean to do what they are supposed to, but if a "good one" is found in a LFS, by all means grab it. Be aware that their life span is fairly short and they can circcumb to the effects of long term captivity.

Try a cleaner shrimp first.

killahbeez2000

well i went to the lfs today to get a neon goby but they didnt have them all they had was cleaner wrasse and a cleaner shrimp so i went for the cleaner shrimp. how long does it take for the shrimp to get used to the fish and tank and actually start cleaning?

could be never....

it really depends on the fish, .. if its a tank raised fish, you will be lucky if it even has the instinct to know what the shrimp will do... but there is a chance that it will...

IMO, cleaner wrasse would be a better, specially if the fish already has ich.. it takes time for a fish to get used to a cleaner shrimp, and the cleaner wrasse will keep trying to pick the parasites, specially when the fish is not looking...

dont believe they hype that cleaner wrasse will starve easily.. (any fish can starve) like i said earlier..just have to find the right one and feed it the right food..

if you visit your local fish store next time, ask them to feed it brine shrimp or formula one.. trust me, i always feed lots of cleaner wrasse in the fish store and has personally kept a few with success

killahbeez2000

oh thanx yea i heard about the bad rap on the wrasse but i did see a few at the lfs and they did look healthy but anyways this is the 2nd day ive had it and the yellow tang is being cleaned as we speak.

Archived