Pod Your Reef

30g. Cube Florida/Macroalgea Biotope

Fishfreak218

Oh, I know.. and I'm sure with patience and going to different beaches etc. that I can find the same stuff right off the beach... it will just take longer..

anyone have any more opinions on how much sargassum to put and if I should get rid of the seahorses and add the coldwater anemones or leave the SH's?

as far as the anemones go, its up to you. i think just a sargasso habitat would make things a whole lot easier as far as upkeep but if you want to go through the extra work of caring for them, you could add them. all in all, i probably wouldnt keep them since you already have 3 other tanks to care for and we all know how stressful they can be ;)

lol^ i decided I wanted all of my tanks to look really good... and that If i didnt go all out.. I wouldnt be happy with the tank and just end up changing it again.. so I gave up the idea of an easy care tank.. the cool water anemones, Im having a hard time deciding on b/c they are really neat but dont go AT ALL with the sargassum theme lol... Im debating it.... I would also have to keep it colder (70ish) with temps gradually increasing/decreasing with the seasons...

After a little research.. it seems that Sargassum only does good for some people and that it ussually will grow.. and then just die off. :o<_<omgomgomg

maybe I'll just go with macroalgea...

this has put a dent in my plans :(

you could always try it and see if you can maintain the sargasso and then add the sargasso fish later on. just a note that the sargasso trigger doesn't NEED sargasso to thrive in aquaria.

I know that about the triggers, but they look cool swiming under it :) lol

Im not sure what im going to do.... i'll update when i find out what im going to do

i say stick with the sargassum i mean people buy fish and if they die maybe grievence and spent money gone but they get more and having the grievence non present and the cost being gas to the beach say if it dies get more!

you're not 45 minutes away, haha.

more like 15-20 :P

if I want to go to a good beach

:)

Plus, we dont go to the beach much....

Cool biotope idea, though anything else that moves in the tank will end up in the angler's stomach. A dedicated angler tank would be the route to go. Also, consider using some fake sargassum. I know it may seem repulsive at first...(plastic plants in a saltwater tank?!?!) but if you find some good quality plastics, it'll save you from having to go back to the beach every few weeks when it dies back..trust me, it will.

With a sargassum angler, they like to spent most of their time towards the top of the tank, either wedged in a corner or between a powerhead/heater, from my experience. The floating sargassum would be nice for him to rest in, though it not only leaves the rest of the tank looking pretty bare under it, it also blocks most of the light. Not much in the way of seagrasses/corals/anything else photosynthetic will do well down there. The star of the tank would be the angler himself, and even he would be hard to see unless you really took your time to point it out. So, if you did decide to go for a sargassum angler tank, be ready to explain to everyone why you have an "empty" tank.

Not to dissuade you from making the tank, just trying to let ya know what you're getting into if you go that direction. Anglers are awesome, though they don't play well with others in a biotope. For an angler, if it moves, it's on the menu.

-Dan

lol,

thank you and some of what you stated is why im leaning towards not going with an angler.. I used to have a source for really good, really expensive, fake sargassum.. but i lost it :/

• 1 month later...
Fishfreak218

sorry to dissapoint.. i got more seahorses for my birthday.

BUT my 10g. is going to need a make over after the contest and i might do this idea...

Archived