Innovative Marine Aquariums

First corals

Reefy

I will be purchasing my first corals soon. I want to keep some mushroom corals and I was wondering if 28 watts of lighting for a 20 gallon hex would be okay. I heard that shrooms can survive in a wide range of light levels. Should I add some more lighting, maybe an blue light?

• 4 weeks later...

I would go with more light. Hex tank are usually fairly high and you need more lighting to reach the bottom. Shrooms should be ok, but won't thrive. I had a 35g hex with 110w PC and everything grew from softies to even some hard corals. Do a search in the classified forums for some used PCs. Eventually you would want to add different corals, but it starts with lighting.

I'm thinking of buying a 2 32 watt PC hood for my Hex for a total of 64 watts for shrooms and some soft corals and polyps. Sounds Okay?

I just wanted to vent about how much I hate mushroom corals. Those little bastages pop off rocks ALL THE TIME! Then I have to wedge them in some place and until they reattach. This is truly the biggest pain to date that I have experienced as a nano reefer.

My advice - Buy ricordias only. I have one and not only does it look ten times better then a mushroom. IT STAY WHERE I PUT IT!

Ok I'm better now.

• 2 weeks later...

Acoustic- I have never heard of mushrooms falling off rocks. BTW ricordias are mushrooms too, they just lay flatter and cost a hell of a lot more.

Reefy- I would definatly add more light to your hex. A 28 watt can probably sustain hardy life like shrooms, and zoos, but I would recomend at least an additional 32 watt PC

Karkadannspiral

They are doing the same thing in my tank, they make a teenie baby shroom and the big one drops off the rock. Three Ive found and two are just missing...

Archived