Pod Your Reef

Bleeched Anemone!

mark2006

Hi all, can any one tell me can a anemone regain its zooanthallae once it has been expelled? unfortunately i have unknowingly bought one from my lfs, since then i have been trying to read everything i can about them i think i have some kind of bubble anemone, i was hoping if i feed it and have it under the proper lighting i could nurse it to full health. I got it for my clowns to host but as yet they have shown no interest, i asume this may be due to the anemone being bleeched. If any of you guys have had similar experience please let me know how it worked out, anyhow heres a picture i have taken for you to see he's a little closed because its early in the morning and i just turned the lights on to take this pic.

Thanks guys

post-23831-1169277381_thumb.jpg

Your anemone is indeed an H. crispa or sebae anemone and it appears to be bleached. Keep water quality high, stick to regular feedings, and make sure he is under bright enough lighting. With a little patience and some luck, it should regain its health. Just so you know, these guys get HUGE!!! Be prepared for some serious growth once it settles in.

Hoobahans: is that bubble algae i see :P

Thanks for the advice guys, looks like the lfs thought ot was a bubble anemone but as you to have shown me it is definately a sabre anemone, many thanks, any idea what to feed these fellas

Feed them raw, uncooked shrimp from the grocery store once per week.

You do not HAVE to feed them, though.

Thanks man, i have only had him for about 4 days, fed him once with a small piece of raw squid and i also have some raw scallop i'm going to try him on, by the way does any one know if clowns host in this anemone as mine havent gone in it yet

Mark, Sebaes are among the most sensitive and hard to care for of all anemones.

Good luck with it!

If it begins to detoriate you MUST get it out of your tank. A decomposing anemone is not good.

Mark, Sebaes are among the most sensitive and hard to care for of all anemones.

Good luck with it!

If it begins to detoriate you MUST get it out of your tank. A decomposing anemone is not good.

I'm going to try my hardest for this anemone,whats sighns should i look out for?

mandarin dragonet

And browning of body... thats the obvious one, but then its usually too late, youre CUC will be like its dinner time at school :P

browning of the body? sebaes are suppose to be brown arnt they?

for the time they are still acclimating to your water they might have deflated and droopy tentacles... too my experience it was about a week for all my anemones before they stayed fat and healthy looking..

A sign of a healthy sebae is the body being brown! White sebae's are alot harder to keep, and usuallly only live for about 6 months, or less..

mandarin dragonet

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA my bad. i keep thinking of carpet anemones.... 6 months is a waste of cash IMO, although i do keep mantids.

and i find things like regurgitating food amazing to watch (in animals) so please don't start....

actually it just looks like the white color strain of a bubble tip. there are several strains of bta's, including regular green/brown, neon green, white, yellow-tip, pink-tip, and rose. that anemone looks perfectly healthy.

not that I think you guys are all wrong but are we all looking at the same initial picture? The first one if so blurry, how can you be absolutely positive it is a sebea? Can we get a clearer picture?

not that I think you guys are all wrong but are we all looking at the same initial picture? The first one if so blurry, how can you be absolutely positive it is a sebea? Can we get a clearer picture?

Hi i just tried to get another picture for you guys hope this helps, also he's feeding ok and is firmly attatched to the live rock

post-23831-1169327421_thumb.jpg

Hi,

I bought a small anemone last August that was tentatively identified as a sebae by members of this group. Almost 5 months later it has regained its colour and doubled in size. I notice yours doesn't have the strong coloured tentacle tips that most bleached sebae seem to have?

August 2006

post-22001-1169329730_thumb.jpg post-22001-1169329714_thumb.jpg

January 2007

post-22001-1169329653_thumb.jpg

This was under 72W of 50/50 PC lighting over a 30 litre tank.

Ade.

I notice yours doesn't have the strong coloured tentacle tips that most bleached sebae seem to have?

Thats what i thought so i asked someone about it and he said it was because its in such poor health all of it zooanthalgea has gone, this is confusing i'm getting coflicting veiws, the way i have to look at it is he's happy were he is attached to the rock fine, and has been feeding ok, so i can only hope he'll pull through. Anyone have any idea as to how long it will be before seeing any improvement i.e. start to colour up? thanks guys

Archived