Innovative Marine Aquariums

56 Gallon FOWLR all in one

Monkeyrobb

My custom tank came in yesterday. It's a Lee Mar designed to match my existing tank (30x24x24). This one's a little different because I couldn't have a sump. I based my design on the Finnex tanks, and am using one of their skimmers. Here's what's happening so far:

30x18x24 glass tank with eurobracing

Finnex skimmer

150W Jager heater

Rio 14hf pump (WAY TOO LOUD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

1" Sea Swirl (had an extra)

40 lbs LS

I'm transfering my nano fish to this tank so I'm going to use the 30-40 lbs of LR from there and add another 40 or 50.

I've got parts from 2 nanocubes that I'm going to use for lighting. I'm starting with 4x36 and going from there. If it's not bright enough, I may add a pair of 24" T5's. I've got some on my other tank and really like them.

The fish that will be moving in are:

Firefish

(2) Pajama Cardinals

Spotted Mandarin

White Headed Sleeper Goby

Fire Shrimp

Snails and Hermits

I'm thinking of one slightly larger centerpiece fish or a few more smaller ones.

Suggestions would be appreciated.

Also, does anyone know of a QUIET pump that can put out 400-500 gph?

Thanks,

Robb

With sand

post-17614-1169261655_thumb.jpg

With water

post-17614-1169261756_thumb.jpg

Top view of back chambers

post-17614-1169261830_thumb.jpg

Hey guys, here's an update. I put my rock from my Nano in with a few pieces from my 75. I'm going to need some more for sure. My fish were completely freaked out in the Nano with only one small piece of rock in there! Anyway, here's a pic of my aquascaping. It's really hard because the main section of the tank is only 13" deep. I finished building the canopy and am waiting for the paint to dry. It should be wired and installed tomorrow. Right now I just have an 18w pc on it.

post-17614-1169693796_thumb.jpg

Update 1/26/07

I brought the canopy home today. It has 4 36W PC's [(2) 10K and (2) combos] along with a moonlight. I replaced the noisy RIO 14HF with a Mag 5 (like Tiger Ace suggested) and what a difference! More flow than the higher rated Rio and nearly silent. The skimmer is now louder than anything so I programmed the RK2 to turn it off from 6 pm till 2 am.

I decided that rock is really boring to look at and will make this a fish and mushroom tank. Mushrooms don't need a lot of food or light so I think it will add a lot of color without a lot of maintenance.

Here's a pic with the canopy.

post-17614-1169876489_thumb.jpg

post-17614-1169876583_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Update 2/9/07

I now have an open brain in my tank because the arrow crab in my 75 wanted to eat it. A few days ago I added a coral beauty. So far everyone is getting along and I've even seen my shrimp try to clean him. I'll post some new pics this weekend. I'm in the middle of a very messy project right now.

• 1 month later...

**Update 3/25/07**

So two months have gone by already. I've been grabbing some cool mushrooms when I see them and have added another fish.

stocking list:

2 pajama cardinals

firefish

spotted mandarin

white headed sleeper goby

coral beauty

blood shrimp

pepermint shrimp

wounded arrow crab (he's down to 2 1/2 legs but doing fine!)

post-17614-1174859640_thumb.jpg

The other fish were camera shy

• 2 weeks later...

Update 4/11/07:

I could never get the finnex skimmer to pull out any thick gunk and it was very loud. I wasn't getting nearly enough filtration and was starting to get hair algea.

The back of my tank is divided into two chambers. The first contained the skimmer and the second held a Mag 5 return pump.

I moved the return pump to the fist chamber and installed a Aqua Clear 70 to the tank. It sits in the second chamber but intakes water from the display. I should be getting a tunze 9002 skimmer this week and will put that in the fist chamber. I'm thinking of making the second chamber a fuge, with another return to the display.

post-17614-1176346614_thumb.jpg

I tried to get a good fts but I'm a horrible photographer. Maybe tomorrow.

Update 4/18:

Got the Tunze skimmer installed and after a few days it's starting to pull out some thick gunk, unlike the finnex. I also put a MJ1200 in the tank for some more flow.

In the pic you'll see the Aqua clear filter, Sea swirl return, and skimmer in the back corner.post-17614-1176932484_thumb.jpg

It's raining/snowing so I had some down time today.

Green shrooms

post-17614-1176935419_thumb.jpg

Purple bullseye shrooms

post-17614-1176935470_thumb.jpg

White Headed sleeper goby

post-17614-1176935748_thumb.jpg

There are also some red, green striped, neon green, orange and wine colored shrooms and a dark blue ric but I can't seem to get a decent picture of them.

Archived