Pod Your Reef

WTF With My Water (55g)

Raise

Hello.

This doesnt pertain to me nano, but im desperate for info/help.

For about the last 3-4 weeks my water has been mysteriously cloudy/murky/green and I cant figure out why. All params check out nicely with ph a tad low and alk a tad high but everything else is spot on. Ever since i got my new rock from FFE the water has just been fvcked. It is just constantly cloudy?????X)

My xenia elongata are not opened fully and neither is my colt...but my Rics seem to be doing fine along with zoo's and gsp. Any ideas on what to do?? Ive done 3+ large water cahnges but no luck! PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!

Thanks

Ray

we'll need a little more info on the tank as to what you could do.

you've already seemed to time-isolate it to the FFE rock so you may want to remove it and do another series of wc's and re-evaluate.

a direct option is to polish the water with a diatom filter or heavy carbon use with a power filter.

either of those should be fine to do regardless but more info is always better. hth

oops.

its a 55g reef.

4 48" vho's w/ icecap660

sealife systems sump and skimmer, 3 lil ###### rios (600) for flow.

It has to be that the rock wasnt fully cured, I think. Like I said all the water params are ok, with the exception of pH and alk, which have been taken care of....

What more would you like to know? Thanks for your input!

It sounds a lot like your new rock is cycling, except that you say water params are OK. This means no ammonia or trites? If so, that's ruled out.

livestock info could be helpful. specificially plant life that might've hitched a ride with the new rock but also maybe in the sump (i.e. macroalgae). or maybe there was a little sponge or something on the FFE rock or already in the system but declined after the new intro. maybe some kind of rock borer.

if the mechanical filtration doesn't fix the issue then i would tend to think bacterial (a. the filters are too big, porous-wise; or b. the bacteria is reproducing as fast as it is removed, bio-opportunistic). these are just guesses from the bleacher seats btw.

I havent measured nitrItes yet. I will tommorow.

Ammonia was slim to none.

As far as livestock goes: 2 false percs, 1 tiny (1") hippo tang, 1 neon dottyback, 1 Mandarin

Xenia Elongata, Colt, GSP, Zoos, A few rics. I dont have a fuge or any plantlife in the sump.

Originally posted by Raise

Hello.

All params check out nicely with ph a tad low and alk a tad high but everything else is spot on. Ever since i got my new rock from FFE the water has just been fvcked. It is just constantly cloudy?????X)  

Ray

how long has the tank been running?

what kind of pre-filter do you have?

are you using carbon?

protein skimmer?

how do you know all parameters are ok?..what kind of test kit did you use?

if the tank is new, its normal for it to be cloudy. after a few weeks, it should go through another algae bloom that is why, it is recommended that you leave your tank alone for a few weeks .

The tank isnt new, it was probably running for nearly 1.5 years before i moved. During the move i added ALL new rock (from ffexpress) and another bag o live sand. So the rock is "new", although it was supposedly cured. GUESS NOT!

I run carbon 24/7 and usually run a skimmer. but right now my skimmer is given me ######. I think the impeller came off of the magnet..........

hmm.........

Archived