inTank Media Baskets

2.5 Pico Nooby... Help.

johnnyminger

I'm a 20 years old college student taking a year off from school. I've always wanted to start a pico system. So, I have a 2.5 gallon tank from Marineland, AC20 filter, Coralife Digital Thermometer, 5 lb Oceanic Sea Salt Mix, 15 lb bag of CaribSea Aragonite .5-1mm Sand, 10W Coralife 50/50 light, and no heater yet. I've painted the background of the tank black. Now, what I'm wondering is if I should use my AC20 as is or if it will be better if I modded it and how I would go about doing so. Also, explain to me why whichever method is better. Any suggestions on a nice small heater and upgrade on a light fixture with good prices??

I think there's a finnex 25w that will fit inside of the AC20. I don't have one myself, but a lot of 2.5 guys do. Mod your AC20 into a fuge, you don't have to right away so don't let it hold you back from getting your tank up, but in the long run you'll be glad you did. There are articles around if you search, I don't have good instructions off the top of my head.

The 2.5 gallon tank... is that an all glass or a mini-bow or? That will affect the lighting, 20watts PC should be your minimum even though it seems like a lot.

I just set up two 2.5 Pico Tanks with pretty much exactly everything you have. I didn't mod my AC20 filters and probably won't, I just don't see the need for my systems. For heating I use one of those 7.5 watt heater pads meant for small tanks and they work beautifully and fit right in an unmodified AC20 filter. I don't use them when the lights are on since the lights put out a lot of heat but at night they maintain 76-78 degrees consistently. For lighting though I'm using a Coral Life 2x9w (one 10K day and 1 Actinic) setup (one for each tank) and my corals (assorted mushrooms and ricordeas) love them. They were 29.99USD each at drsfostersmith.com . Hope this helps and good luck!

No problem... here's my source for the heater info:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=103088

Also don't pay big $$$ for "nano frags" online or LFS. I think there's a fox valley reefers club up near Milwaukee. I bet you can get some $5 frags if you start talking to them. My 2.5 tank is full of $5 frags that have overgrown everything. Yellow polyps, 5 types of mushroom (fuzzy green, ricordea, purple, green, red), two types of zoas, pipe organ coral, daisy polyps, green star polyps, kenya trees and xenia. They all grow like crazy under a 20w 50/50 coralife bulb. Swap out 6-8 cups of water a week and you won't need to dose anything since you're using Oceanic. It couldn't be easier. Just top off with clean water daily and you might need to buy some phytoplankton or marine snow if you get filter feeders.

To change water, I keep a gallon just of saltwater in my closet that I make once every 2-3 weeks. I put 6 cups into a large ziplock and float it in one of my bigger tanks to bring it to about the right temp. You could also buy a cheap 25w heater and throw the ziplock bag into a bucket of tap water with the heater to get the temp right before changing if that's easy too.

Two astrea snails should be enough, maybe two small hermits too. That's what I have in my tank. I had an emerald crab, but it would climb the xenia and leave little cuts even though it's "reef safe". I moved him to my big FOWLR tank.

I have the hodor 7" 25w in both my 5.5 and 1 gallon... it would fit fine in your filter, and I like the way its set up... its been really acurate for me...

good luck!

Pics when you get LR!

I just set up two 2.5 Pico Tanks with pretty much exactly everything you have. I didn't mod my AC20 filters and probably won't, I just don't see the need for my systems. For heating I use one of those 7.5 watt heater pads meant for small tanks and they work beautifully and fit right in an unmodified AC20 filter. I don't use them when the lights are on since the lights put out a lot of heat but at night they maintain 76-78 degrees consistently. For lighting though I'm using a Coral Life 2x9w (one 10K day and 1 Actinic) setup (one for each tank) and my corals (assorted mushrooms and ricordeas) love them. They were 29.99USD each at drsfostersmith.com . Hope this helps and good luck!

Thanks Seanfg89! If I can't find the submersible heater I'll buy the heater pad.

I have the hodor 7" 25w in both my 5.5 and 1 gallon... it would fit fine in your filter, and I like the way its set up... its been really acurate for me...

good luck!

Pics when you get LR!

Thanks John, I'll post up pictures as soon as start setting things up!

No problem... here's my source for the heater info:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=103088

Also don't pay big $$$ for "nano frags" online or LFS. I think there's a fox valley reefers club up near Milwaukee. I bet you can get some $5 frags if you start talking to them. My 2.5 tank is full of $5 frags that have overgrown everything. Yellow polyps, 5 types of mushroom (fuzzy green, ricordea, purple, green, red), two types of zoas, pipe organ coral, daisy polyps, green star polyps, kenya trees and xenia. They all grow like crazy under a 20w 50/50 coralife bulb. Swap out 6-8 cups of water a week and you won't need to dose anything since you're using Oceanic. It couldn't be easier. Just top off with clean water daily and you might need to buy some phytoplankton or marine snow if you get filter feeders.

To change water, I keep a gallon just of saltwater in my closet that I make once every 2-3 weeks. I put 6 cups into a large ziplock and float it in one of my bigger tanks to bring it to about the right temp. You could also buy a cheap 25w heater and throw the ziplock bag into a bucket of tap water with the heater to get the temp right before changing if that's easy too.

Two astrea snails should be enough, maybe two small hermits too. That's what I have in my tank. I had an emerald crab, but it would climb the xenia and leave little cuts even though it's "reef safe". I moved him to my big FOWLR tank.

The information is great ccaragol. Thanks, I'll definitely check out the reefer's club too.

I'm off to the Aquarium Super Store to compare prices and what not. I hope I find something good.

Ok... so I went to the "Aquarium Super Store" and it was more like a hint of an aquarium store. They had absolutely nothing. I was really disappointed because I was looking to start my tank soon. Luckily, Walmart was near by and I bought a $7 small aquarium heater that should do the trick. It fits perfectly inside the ac20 filter too. Now, all I need is my lights! I'll probably start cycling my tank tomorrow morning.

Hey Everyone!! I finally set up my tank and its up and running. I couldn't afford everything yet so I'm holding off on a few things like maybe an extra half pound of LR and my light upgrade. Other than that, I will be posting up pictures soon!! Does anyone have any suggestions on some corals that won't need as much light yet? I'm running on a 11w 65k Compact FLO. Something has to survive in that light. I'm thinking about going to a frag swap, so let me know!!

Archived