ReefCleaners.org

New Long Tentacle [HELP]

sammy113

Hi everyone! I just got today a long tentacle anemone and I have some questions. After acclimation and placed in tank the anemone start moving around the tank and seems to like a place where I almost can't see it. I'd like to have it in the front of my tan but she moves around. Is that normal? Should I wait until she place itself in the sand where it wants? I use invertebrate target food for my feather dusters worms and trace elements 2 days a week. How do I feed it? Hopefully tomorrow i'll get a clown and lets see how they go. :D Here's a pic of the long tentacle. Thanks in advance!

[sAM]

DSC02689.jpg

I never fed mine my clowns fed if for me. But yes my LTA always moved on the ground i described it as running laps, but then it stop and found a place it took about 3 months

JR

isnt 2 months way too early for an anemone? i thought 6 months was minimum ...... maybe im just stupid :P

Well... some people told me that it is ok... Atually the LS and LR came from my other tank.... so it came with some nice bateria and cured rock. 50% of the water too came from there.. I hope it last for a long time... So far looks like its doing fine :D

yea typically about a year old tank, but yours looks fine to me, itll move to exactly where you dont want it ;) and if you try to move it back somewhere you like, itll just get mad and move again and possibly sting something, id just let it do what it wants to

isnt 2 months way too early for an anemone? i thought 6 months was minimum ...... maybe im just stupid :P

As with much on reefkeeping there are general rules based on what people "think" is the best way of doing things.

Why do people say "more than 6 months, a year being better". Well, thats because it takes that long for 1) people to figure out what they are doing and 2) for the tank to stabilize.

#2 is theoretical and is contingent upon #1.

As long as the anemone is health and had adequate lighting there is no reason it cannot succeed in your tank.

LTA are quite forgiving.

Make sure to cover all powerhead and overflow intakes and allow the anemone to situate itself where it feels confortable. At that point, analyze the amount of light and flow it seems to prefer than then you can try to move it to a more viewable location and mimick those parameters.

Good luck.

As with much on reefkeeping there are general rules based on what people "think" is the best way of doing things.

Why do people say "more than 6 months, a year being better". Well, thats because it takes that long for 1) people to figure out what they are doing and 2) for the tank to stabilize.

#2 is theoretical and is contingent upon #1.

As long as the anemone is health and had adequate lighting there is no reason it cannot succeed in your tank.

LTA are quite forgiving.

Make sure to cover all powerhead and overflow intakes and allow the anemone to situate itself where it feels confortable. At that point, analyze the amount of light and flow it seems to prefer than then you can try to move it to a more viewable location and mimick those parameters.

Good luck.

I'm 100% with you Weitlander :D So far it looks like its doing fine and it found a nice place to stay. Its been there for 3 days now and its a viewable place. Thanks for the intelligent comment ;)

Well, i heard that it can live for years if you have it under good conditions specially high lightning like MH, Temp-76/77, feeding it correctly or maybe have some clown hosting it that feed it. I'm really frustrated with anemones. I lost my blue tang probably because of the anemone. Looked like it was stunned and stress out. If anemones don't have the nice lightning they need, it will slowly going to die and that could kill all your fish. Hope you do fine with yours.

When I had a LTA (sold it to a store because it got way too big), I got it to stay where I wanted it by placing it in a huge rock with a hole going through the center and filling the hole 3/4 of the way to the top with sand. the rock was 12 inches in diameter and was manmade to have a huge hole in the center. some of the major petstores sell the large rocks.

for optimal growth i found that feeding it 1 de-shelled raw shrimp without the head every 2 weeks works well.

hope this helps you out and good luck

Archived