Innovative Marine Aquariums

Crocea Clam

Randy

Okay, recently I ordered a bunch of misc corals from a person breaking down their tank. They threw in a crocea clam, so now I have something a bit unexpected to care for. I'd say the clam is about 5" at it's widest point.

I have a BC29 with 2 actinics and a 70w mh. If I understand correctly keeping him closer to the light would be best? Or do you think center under the bulb on the sand would work? Hopefully I'll be adding another 70w bulb soon, if I do that do you think the sand would be an okay place? I currently run the lights 9 hours, would 12 hours be better for him or is 9 hours adequate?

Regarding dosing the tank. I currently use 2 part B-Ionic. I have an auto top off, should I add anything to that pure water? If I understand correctly food isn't really required, just good light, good stable water and supplements? Are there any other supplements I should use?

Other than him there are a lot of shrooms, some zoo's, porites, some other SPS, hammer coral, frogspawn, toadstool, xenia, blasto and leather corals in there. No fish, but 2 cleaner shrimp and 2 pistol shrimp, one emerald crab and some other crab that stays hidden. Oh, and lots of pods.

Hmmmm....

i finally finished acclimating him, but I don't think he's made it. The water was a little cool in the bag and he didn't move when I took him out of the bag (shouldn't he twitch closed or something?).

Now my cleaner shrimp is poking at the fleshy inside, which I'm sure can't be good.

Hmmmm....

i finally finished acclimating him, but I don't think he's made it. The water was a little cool in the bag and he didn't move when I took him out of the bag (shouldn't he twitch closed or something?).

Now my cleaner shrimp is poking at the fleshy inside, which I'm sure can't be good.

What do you mean by "twitch"? Like the entire shell? If the mantel is out and responsive to light and shadow, it still has a chance. I would keep the cleaner shrimp away and let the clam heal? good luck!

You can also try putting the clam in a separate container in your tank. Here is a good link for that: http://www.melevsreef.com/pics/0504/baby_maxima.html

What do you mean by "twitch"? Like the entire shell? If the mantel is out and responsive to light and shadow, it still has a chance. I would keep the cleaner shrimp away and let the clam heal? good luck!

The mantel has been in at all times, even in the bag. By which I mean respond by moving some way. The only clams I've dealt with are steamer clams, and they would seal shut or move some.

I turned on the lights and gave my shrimp a piece of food and that kept him away from the clam all night, but the mantel still isn't out. I have to run to work, but if it isn't change by the time I get home I assume that's probably for the worst?

Archived