inTank Media Baskets

How necessary are refugiums?

nut.meg

Hi all - new to the board.

I've had a BW 10gal up and running for some time, but I just got a 20gal H and I plan to move it over to that and convert my 10gal to a nano-reef.

My question is whether refugiums are necessary at all, rather than just nice to have, and should I, along with LR/LS, have:

a. a 12" custom H.O.T refugium (and do I need special lighting in addition to what I already have?)

b. my Aquaclear mini as a fuge (and how exactle do I set that up), and a biowheel mini for extra filtration

c. just the aquaclear mini as a fuge

d. just the biowheel mini (as a normal filter)

e. just the Aquaclear (as a normal filter)

I'm planning to stick a small power head on there too, and my heater is 50W.

My lighting is a 36watt JBJ combo clamp on light (actinic/10000K)

I haven't set up the new tank yet - just thought I'd wait and see what advice I got in terms of extra equipment for the nano reef.

Much appreciated!

Meg

refugiums are not a necessity. If you're going to add one, I would say go with a hang on back as they work great and add the most additional water volume.

The only problem you might have is you can't hang a filter on the back if you have the fuge there but you shouldn't need the filter. Just toss powerheads in the tank and you have your circulation.

Christopher Marks

Refugiums are definately not a necessity. I prefer to call them an added benefit. Personally, I don't have refugiums on any of my systems. It's not that I don't feel they are useful, I just don't have the time to get one setup and maintain it.

If I were to setup a tank with your equipment, I would have the tank with just the LR, LS, and powerhead in it for circulation. I would then add a hang on back filter (the aquaclear mini) to provide a little more surface circulation, and a place to add filter media if needed, or a prefilter sponge to remove larger debris.

Archived