Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

tomato's Perc's or ocellaris??

killahbeez2000

killahbeez2000

What do you guys think for a 29g FOWLR a pair od tomato's perc's or ocellaris? they will be the only fish in the aquarium i have a 75 right now with one yellow tang two damsels and a sabae clown and i want to have a clown only tank (pair) thanks

Tomato clowns can get too large for your tank. I know a lot of people who keep them in nanos, but that is not good in the long term. Most books underestimate the size they can get. I have seen many of them in public aquaria measuring over 5 inches.

killahbeez2000

If i get a pair of clown they will be the only mates i already have all i can handle with my yellow tang and other mates in the 75.

c'mon killah, Tomato's can hit 6 " easy. You know that. Perc's with a BTA. Only thing you could want. Actually I'd put your damsels in the 29 and put you pair in the 75, but that's just me.

Except percs don't usually accept a BTA.

Personally, I'd do a pair of clark's if I wanted a BTA in a 29g.

If you're wanting something a little deviant from the standard percs and ocellars, aside from clark's, other options include: anything from the skunk complex (although they can be a bit shy), Allard's (my personal fave clown), A. bicinctus, true saddleback, and true Sebae (if you can find a tank-raised one).

You could also do a pair of maroons in a 29g, but you'd probably never get them to spawn if that's your goal.

Tomatos size is deceptive because usually they only grow to under 4". However, the female can get much larger, so once two adults pair up, one will get a growth spurt and no longer like the tight confines. Maroons do this, too, but they associate very closely with their anemone and do not ask for much swimming space.

Archived