Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Im going to set up a 5.5g??????

basa90

A few Questions

1.Im going to use LED from http://www.reefmatrix/

a.How many of his leds? 3 enough?

2.Live sand?( some say crap trap some say its a must)

a.2lbs per gallon right?

3.Live rock 12lbs to much?

4.Best small PH where can I find?

a.Aquaglobe?

5.Hang on skimmer?

a.Is there one small enough?

6.Use water from my 55?

a.how long till soft corals if i use waterchange from 55g?

7.evap and top off with lights above?

8.hang on refugium are these things worth it?

a.where to buy?

9.Natural sun light bad idea?

10. Are all these ?'s annoying?

THANKS IN ADVANCE

Jesus, I'm not sure how to answer all this. I'd like to say that you do not represent all of us from Seattle.

First of all, you are saying you are getting water from a 55? Is this your tank? I'd have to assume not, because of the questions. If you have a friend who can't answer these, yet you still are taking water from him, I'd say this. You are lying, or your friend is a retard. Actually I just re-read your questions and, No I don't think you should have a nano if you currently have a 55 and can't answer half of them. What a waste of time

The title of this forum is Beginners Discussion. I dont see how berading a person who wants questions answered is going to help anyone. As far as representing Seattle, I think you represent the pretencious populace very well, if you have nothing better to do than look at a beginners post and discourge even mock, than you are indeed a very lonley person.Can anyone breakdown my questions other than zizmans.

Ask reefmatrix (absolutc) about the lighting as he would know best.

with regards to basic set-up info:

http://www.nano-reef.com/articles/

with regards to the best small ph, you will get many different answers. Dave ESPI sells some real powerful, real small ones that seem to work great.

There are skimmers that are small enough for your tank but I'm not sure if it will be necessary. Sanders makes a picollo skimmer that many here will tell you works best for the size.

Using water from an established tank? Depends on the water parameters and what is in the tank.

Don't really need a skimmer and a fuge, pick one.

How long until you can stock the tank all depends on how long the cycle takes. You'll need to test the water to determine when to put livestock in. some have cycled in under 2 weeks, others in over a month.

Natural sunlight isn't a bad idea if you want a tan. If you're looking for deep, fluffy powder, sunlight can melt the snow and ruin the skiing. For a tank, it may or may not be of any benefit. I live in NYC and get some morning sun on my tank. Lots of algae on that side of the tank but my maxima seems to like to turn towards the morning light.

Evap and top off with the leds? Ask abs. Might not hurt to have a system in place should you need to use it.

Are all these ?'s annoying? damn right they are. just about every one of these questions can be answered via the link I posted above, or by searching the boards via the search button (that little flashing button up above).

I would strongly suggest reading the articles Chris has taken the time to write, perhaps read thru the threads that have any tank related meaning (and some of the others for pure entertainment) and formalize a plan as to what livestock you want to keep before you set up the tank.

Whew

Umm, my hands were burning so I decided to find out who was talking about me :)

How can I help you?

LEDs are only used for moonlights and to supplent existing lights by adding extra color hues. They are 1/3 the efficiency and 10 times the price per watt as CFs. For example, the 60$ 1watt kit on reefmatrix.com is only 20 lumens (5w luxeons are 120). A 20$ 13w compact fluorescent produces almost 1000 lumens.

Archived