Innovative Marine Aquariums

red bugs. will anything eat them?

jonathanws

i have red bugs pretty bad in my 12g nano cube. i did a search and know i can do the interceptor treatment, but i'm just wondering if there are any fish or any other creature that will eat them. thanks

er1c_the_reefer

it's been reported that dragon face pipefish (corythoichthys haematopterus) do, but they aren't exactly easy to take care of.

also, warner marine reefpure coral dip, which i believe is like lugol's iodine, is supposed to help, but it doesn't kill all of them in one sitting. you have to dip and blow them off with a turkey baster. and then wait and dip again in a few days and repeat until all the bugs are gone. also look up tropic marin pro coral cure. my friend saids it works.

you're best bet is to just do the interceptor though.

i've never had to deal with red bugs personally, but fwiw, i think they're probably just a part of natural reef fauna, like the use-to-be-dreaded bristleworm. if they're not killing anything, i'd just leave them alone.

oh, and i'm assuming this is an SPS tank?

it's been reported that dragon face pipefish (corythoichthys haematopterus) do, but they aren't exactly easy to take care of.

also, warner marine reefpure coral dip, which i believe is like lugol's iodine, is supposed to help, but it doesn't kill all of them in one sitting. you have to dip and blow them off with a turkey baster. and then wait and dip again in a few days and repeat until all the bugs are gone. also look up tropic marin pro coral cure. my friend saids it works.

you're best bet is to just do the interceptor though.

i've never had to deal with red bugs personally, but fwiw, i think they're probably just a part of natural reef fauna, like the use-to-be-dreaded bristleworm. if they're not killing anything, i'd just leave them alone.

thanks for the help. they don't seem to be bothering anything. nothing has died in months and nobody notices them but me. i have a brain coral, trumpet, bunch of polyps, bubble coral, and mushrooms

• 2 weeks later...

Pipefish have been reported to eat red bugs, but their sensitivity outweighs their usefulness; moreover, they will not survive in a tank with SPS solely because of the turbulent flow that such corals require.

Also, red bugs only eat SPS. You must have something else. Probably some kind of pod.

No mandarin dragonet... It'll starve within two weeks in that size a tank.

• 8 months later...

how is that going, have your redbugs caused you problems? I remember back when there was a big push to iradicate all bristle worms LOL I do not think anyone understands just how many we have in our tanks. they were blamed for killing every thing "I know it was the bristle worm that killed my calm because the clam was dead and the bristle worm was eating it" live and learn :)

Archived