Pod Your Reef

What do YOU keep under 72Watts or Less??

littlec

The title says it all. I am curious to get some up-to-date reports from reefers that have had success keeping various corals under 72 watts of PC lighting. Specifically, I am interested in hearing from those who use tanks that are 14-18" High.

My story is this... I have the 18 gallon Via Aqua tank which I am very happy with EXCEPT THE BALLAST SUCKS! So, I am planning to replace the lights very soon and I want to make sure that I make the right replacement ONCE. I am most interested in keeping zoanthids, shrooms, LPS, softies and a clam - not all of them, but this is what I would like to be able to choose from without fear that my lights couldn't support the livestock. From everything that I have read thus far the clam is the most light dependent of my wish list.

The alternatives that I am considering are:

1. just replace the ballast and continue using 72watts (4 WPG)

2. do #1 AND add a 96 watt powerquad (either CSL or Hellolights) for a total of 9.3 WPG. (Although I could use timers and have the lighting peak with just one 36 watt bulb and the 96 watt powerquad to yield 132 watts or 7.3WPG).

At this point I am strongly leaning towards option #2 but I wanted to get some input. So, what do you guys think? Should I stick with 72 watts or go higher?

TIA

• 2 weeks later...

man, you guyz have the lighting thing ALL wrong... i got LPS, i got softies, i got shrooms, i have anything you want EXCEPT SPS and clams... and the best part is....

ITS A 20g TALL with ONLY 32w PC's.

figure that one out

coralreefengr

LPS:

candy cane

frog spawn

hammer

Softies:

3 types sinularia

anthelia

green tree nephthea

green striped mushrooms

green spotted mushrooms

xenia

chili

Other:

red ball sponge

orange tree sponge

misc shrimp, crabs, snails

2 clowns

misc feather dusters

I think that's all I've got in there.

Thanks for the replies...

3twenty5 - the problem that I am/was having with my ballast is that it would not fire easily (i.e., regularly on the timer). I would have to have to flip the switch on, leave it for 1-2 hours, then come back and flip it off and on 2-3 times rapidly before the light would come on. I know that I am not the only person who had this problem... You can find more info here:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/showthread...&threadid=10014

BTW, I did replace the via aqua ballast and fixtures with this:

http://www.hellolights.com/1xbalkit.html

BUT I think I'm gonna be changing again... I am VERY seriously considering the MH so that I can cure this clam itch that I got. :P

reefskunk - that is very interesting information - how long have you kept those LPS' in there? (Don't get me wrong, I am DEFINITELY not challenging you, I'm just always curious to learn more about the many successful ways that people approach this hobby.)

coralreefengr - thanks for the detailed list of inhabitants, that is EXACTLY the kind of information that I was looking for. Do you have those under 72 watts or something less than 72 watts.

Archived