Pod Your Reef

10G Nano garden

danano

I find it amazing that so many of the stunning setups that folks display here are smaller than most mini-reefers sumps.

Outstanding danano, hope your garden continues to grow and thrive.

Thanks Palaegic! It's not simple though and requires as much, if not more attention (TLC) than a mini-reef (>20G). However, the principles are pretty much the same.

Picture: X'mas tree & porite, torch & clown, tridacna clam, alveopora

Your tank is beautiful. Great choices as far as colors and textures go. I wish you could get some high res shots to post. I would love to see better pictures!

Anyway, yours was another inspiration for me! :)

Thanks Jeff.

I plan to pick up a digital camera in a couple of weeks. Once that happens, I'll probably go crazy with the camera on the nano :D

In the meantime, here's my yellow cup coral under 'moonlight'. I'm using a 15W actinic in addition to the 55W 10K and 55W 17K PC. The 15W actinic gives the tank a nice moonlight glow for about an hour after the PC's are off.

thanks for the porite pics, i've had a hard hitchhiker for about 8 months now, not knowing what it was and i think thats what it is..the thing in my tanks is brown, hard, and extents little white feathery polyp looking things

I just dug out my old Kodak DC120 digital camera. It takes decent pictures. Here's a current pic of my nano. ;)

New corals added on 12 April:

- Montipora Danae (purple with lime green polyps) - encrusting SPS.

- Acropora humilis (green), branching SPS.

PLUS... a few frags planted on 19 April:

- clove polyps (x2), bright green polyps (x15, multiple frags), candy cane (x1) and alveopora (1").

Also picked up LR with Blue Mushrooms (x15). Took out the hammer and chisel - and I now have 4 small pieces with Blue's. :) They're starting to colour up nicely.

I also moved my 2 small pieces of fox coral back to the front. The fox provides a nice contrast.

Dan :happy:

deacon hemp

Dood with all those sps and clams how do you manage keeping up the cal/alk do you have a ca reactor?

Btw it looks sweet ,looks bigger than it acually is

Thanks for the kind words Jeff, Deacon... it probably looks bigger 'coz of the aquascape. I went for a reef slope look with 2 pinnacles/mounds, one big and one small. The slope gives it depth and big/small contrast. Also, if it weren't for the alveopora in the middle, there would be a visible "trench" (i.e. Marianas) separating the two mounds. The slope down the trench also adds to the depth.

Deacon... maintaining Ca/alk levels is a challenge but most certainly doable. I dose 10 drops of Calcium (Coralife - kalk w/ bioactive calcium) daily, in addition to strontium, iodine and Sea Elements (Julian Sprung). Also, daily Coral Accel (Kent). I've increased my daily Ca dosage from 6 to 8 and then to 10 drops with addition of sps and clams. So far, I'm maintaining a Salifert Ca reading of 400ppm. Alk dropped to 7dkh after I added the monti danae and acro humilis. I've since doubled my weekly dosage of Seachem Reef Builder - alk now back at 9-10dkh. So for now, the CA reactor is just me ;).

Any ideas on a compact CA reactor which won't make a too large a hole in the wallet?

Dan

Jeff, I'm using a basic air-driven skimmer that sits in the hang-on sump. It's a Sanders Piccolo. It's compact and does the job. I have a small snail in the sump that regularly cleans the skimmer and air stone :).

Because of the bio-load in my 10g, I use Rowaphos and Seachem Sea Gel as well to maintain 'optimum' water quality. 10% water change every two weeks with Tropic Marin.

The water flow rate in my 10g tank is 1800 Liters per Hour (470 gph)... the SPS love it. The pic shows the locations of all the powerheads and hang-on filter/overflows. The powerhead (above the false percula clown) on the far left is set on timer (off for an hr every 3hrs).

How easy is the organ pipe coral to keep Dan? I love the look of those things but didn't know how easy or hard they were to maintain?

I look at your tank and still shake my head in disbelief that I am looking at a 10 gallon. Very nice.

-Jeff

I've had the pipe coral for about 4 months, as long as the torch and hammer. All are doing well. I haven't had any pipe polyps die on me... in fact, it started to show visible calcification/growth after 2 months and with new 'baby' pipes in the 3rd month. I'm hoping it'll secure itself onto the LR in the next few months. I would say the pipe coral is not difficult to maintain. In my tank it's getting moderate lighting, medium current and surrounded by non-aggressive corals... plus all the supplements.

The pipe coral gives the reef a nice 'current flow' appearance... it's continually in motion.

Thanks again for the support Jeff. :happy:

• 1 month later...

Archived